assisted suicide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a very personal choice between you and those who care about you. If I could be assured the life insurance would pay off and my family accepted it I would give them one last hug and tell them I would see them in heaven. Once I reached a certain point of no recovery and was just miserable I would spare them and myself from a slow certain death. I will pray for you and your family as you make this decision.
On most life ins. policies suicide is not an issue after 2 years. If you read the policy it may say
that after a period of 2 years it, a death, is 'incontestable'. I know it for fact from a family member's suicide. Payout was 9 days afterward.
No death can be contested after 2 years. Regardless. I think this is how term policies are written in Oklahoma.

EDIT; I have two different term policies and they both read 'incontestable' after 2 years.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was very ill and near death in 2017-2018. 11 months of starving with a digestive desease and I simply couldnt eat. Lost 80 pounds and looked like a POW. I became to weak to walk and had to have my parents take me to their house as I didnt want to die alone in my house. I was sure it was coming in the next week or less. I was ready and tired of being sick. I wasnt afraid and hoped it came sooner than later at that point.
I never contemplated suicide but I also wasnt in pain. So I guess thats my answer to the OP question.

Sig365CCW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I mean as long as he's letting children die confirm one's faith......
You either have faith and believe God has a plan or you don't. Lots of material out there to review and decide for yourself. One thing we have is free will to make decisions and also to live with the consequences of those decisions. Some day we will find out if we were right or not. It's tough to understand why he would allow a child to die or a good person get a horrible disease like cancer. It's definitely not a laughing matter regardless of one's faith or lack of.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was very ill and near death in 2017-2018. 11 months of starving with a digestive desease and I simply couldnt eat. Lost 80 pounds and looked like a POW. I became to weak to walk and had to have my parents take me to their house as I didnt want to die alone in my house. I was sure it was coming in the next week or less. I was ready and tired of being sick. I wasnt afraid and hoped it came sooner than later at that point.
I never contemplated suicide but I also wasnt in pain. So I guess thats my answer to the OP question.
I assume all this discussion is using assisted suicide as a synonym to physician assisted death. In which case, I doubt your diagnose would have qualified. I’m glad you fought hard and are doing better. My understanding is physician assisted death requires a terminal illness and a prognosis of less than 6 months.

Another challenge with this whole conversation has been opinions provided for self vs what should be allowed in our society. I know some people are saying “not for me” and that doesn’t necessarily imply whether or not they think it should be available to others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a Catholic chatachism on whether or not hee11 is empty. Does God’s love relieve all sinners of their transgressions?

Being Precise About Catholic Church Teaching on Hell

Get Ready for an Empty Hell

At the end we die with God or without. Whether we are alone is our own choice. My Mother was talking with her Mother. My Father told me his Father waited for me in Heaven and to change my paths.

I know there is much you still have to give, you are singularly important in your Family and on this Board Family.

I pray you go in peace with God. We are not you, but I know you cannot leave your Wife without. DNR is not suicidal. It should be enforceable.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Enough morphine and you will stop breathing. Seems to happen to some cancer patients I've seen/known. Can't say whether or not it was intentional but it seems odd that one thing led to another.
If that happens, either the dose was too large or it just happened to be the last dose given before the patient naturally expired.
When morphine is administered correctly, it gives hospice patients a better quality of life. It’s commonly given with benzos like Ativan.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Morphine does not touch my FIL. Opium seems to relieve some pain and cause more through constipation and urinary issues. He will not try whiskey. Beer does nothing. Honestly, not sure how he does it. Mine is not at 11 or 12 so I have no reason to talk.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You either have faith and believe God has a plan or you don't. Lots of material out there to review and decide for yourself. One thing we have is free will to make decisions and also to live with the consequences of those decisions. Some day we will find out if we were right or not. It's tough to understand why he would allow a child to die or a good person get a horrible disease like cancer. It's definitely not a laughing matter regardless of one's faith or lack of.

Who said it was a laughing matter?

Latest posts

Top Bottom