B-17 Pilot John Muirhead the Author

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Curious, where was his training at? .

Picture says 20th Ferrying Group,Nashville Tennessee.He flew B17's to bases on small islands near Japan.The bombers didn't really have the range to make those trips so they stripped all unneeded equipment,including navigational equipment,and added fuel tanks.He navigated by the stars and flew at low altitudes.He said sometimes he would miss the small islands and have to turn back to find them.He was experienced in making landings on fumes.LOL

20th Ferrying Group......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_World_War_II_Army_Airfields

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picture says 20th Ferrying Group,Nashville Tennessee.He flew B17's to bases on small islands near Japan.The bombers didn't really have the range to make those trips so they stripped all unneeded equipment,including navigational equipment,and added fuel tanks.He navigated by the stars and flew at low altitudes.He said sometimes he would miss the small islands and have to turn back to find them.He was experienced in making landings on fumes.LOL

20th Ferrying Group......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_World_War_II_Army_Airfields

I love it. Landing on fumes? And how many B17's were in the South Pacific just says to me he was there early because of all the other bombers that came in later. Thank you so much.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Having been up in the EAA's B17, Aluminum Overcast, I couldn't see what they could strip from them. Wonder if it was a later generation of 24, 25, 26's. Not doubting your word, just amazes me there was nothing left to strip. Let me just say, those guys and women were the Greatest Generation. thank you.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I love it. Landing on fumes? And how many B17's were in the South Pacific just says to me he was there early because of all the other bombers that came in later. Thank you so much.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Having been up in the EAA's B17, Aluminum Overcast, I couldn't see what they could strip from them. Wonder if it was a later generation of 24, 25, 26's. Not doubting your word, just amazes me there was nothing left to strip. Let me just say, those guys and women were the Greatest Generation. thank you.

Nope,definitely 17.Late in his service he flew the 24 but mostly the 17.He didn't say what they took out only they took EVERYTHING that wasn't needed and added auxiliary tanks.They reinstalled the weapons and all equipment on the island.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have enjoyed this thread to the fullest and you kids have brought back some wonderful memories I have of Lone Wolf and other places, remember this, there are those in every small town and large of OK and the USA who were there. I have others I could tell you of who flew P51's etc during WWII. I hope I did not make too many errors of facts in my posts, but those that were my mentors as a child in Lone Wolf, both on the ground and in the air will forever be in my mind. Last thought is a fellow, long gone named Kay McCormick, still keep in touch with the family' but Kay taught me the art of driving and plowing and herding cattle as a very, very young child, he did so because my dad was the banker and trusted Kay. Wise Decision. Kay, as my father never did spoke of the war unless they were with those they served with, this was just common' as it is with my uncles who survived. .All i can say about Kay is that he was a ground troop in the South Pacific, he just did not talk of it. I can't say much more but any of you have older ones still living start talking to them and recording what they did even, I mean EVEN if they did not serve overseas, but many had to stay here and take care of the fire departments, police and so forth, so they should not be forgotten either. One of my fathers best friends stayed here and handle the fire deartment and and ran the cotton harvesting in Lone Wolf. Ralph is long gone but I still am in touch with his daughters and son. Thank you all for helping bring back more memories.
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope,definitely 17.Late in his service he flew the 24 but mostly the 17.He didn't say what they took out only they took EVERYTHING that wasn't needed and added auxiliary tanks.They reinstalled the weapons and all equipment on the island.

Having been up in the one I spoke of there was nothing left! Those people really were the generation, can't say more, but thank you so much for the input.
lone Wolf

Latest posts

Top Bottom