B-17 Pilot John Muirhead the Author

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, one last thing. I am old and retired, but have a little part time job which over the last ten plus years has given to me the pleasure of working with a lot of Iraq.Afghan vets who have become good friends for this old guy and they try to keep me straight in my old age. I am so damned impressed with them and the all volunteer military, I am so humbled that I wish those I have spoken of earlier were here to see what they do every day in their calling. They would and are very proud of them as I am. Thanks, for the memories and please keep them coming.
Lone Wolf.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been up in the EAA's B17, Aluminum Overcast, I couldn't see what they could strip from them. Wonder if it was a later generation of 24, 25, 26's. Not doubting your word, just amazes me there was nothing left to strip. Let me just say, those guys and women were the Greatest Generation. thank you.

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B17toptrret.jpg

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B17Lftengns.jpg

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B17ground3.jpg

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a sight!!! I was lucky enough to have flown in Texas Raiders and what was known back then as Diamond Lil the B-24. Both Confederate Air Force planes. I has all of 14-17 and both rides were down at the big CAF airshow in midland. I ran around with some of the well knowns in the CAF and got me the rides. I take my sons to see a WW2 plane anytime there is one even close. Have some great pictures of them in Liberty Belle. Sadly thats the B-17 that burnt up just a few months ago. My Grandpa was a bombadier in B-24s...sadly I dont know much about what he did because he died when I was 13...right when I was just starting to get into these old things. I have his wings. And alittle info on his group. These old planes are so important to teach history. You can read all you want but untill you have heard a big radial or smelled the smoke after one starts or held that throttle in your hand. Whew thats when it rings clear. Oh and to be honest I got lost on one of my cross country flights when I was a student pilot...I had a GPS. Found my way after a bit but, These guys flew with nothing like what we have today. And made it back time and again.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been pretty lucky myself. I got a ride in the B-25 "Old Glory". But I would love to get a ride in a B-24. You're lucky your kids share your interest in aviation. Mine didn't, and I feel we both lost out a little. At least he likes to shoot with me when he comes over!

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B25_14.jpg

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B25_22.jpg

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B25_43.jpg

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been pretty lucky myself. I got a ride in the B-25 "Old Glory". But I would love to get a ride in a B-24. You're lucky your kids share your interest in aviation. Mine didn't, and I feel we both lost out a little. At least he likes to shoot with me when he comes over!

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B25_14.jpg

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B25_22.jpg

ai1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_B25_43.jpg

I have goose bumps looking at those pics. My gosh I would love to go up in one! Thank you so much for the pics.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What happened to Old Glory? It was at Wiley for awhile a few years ago then I heard it went to Tulsa? But really never knew the owner or where it ever went. I go to alot of the airshows and it use to be at all the local stuff but I havent seen it in years?

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it was restored at, and based in Tulsa. I don't remember the guy's name, but I think he eventually sold it. It's probably out there somewhere with a different name.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean about not feeling like I've done enough. My uncle, Glen C. Moore (now deceased), flew a P-47 Thunderbolt in WW2 through Italy, France and Germany. He wrote a book entitled Don't Worry Mom and Dad, I'm Okay. and after reading it I felt like my life has been almost trivial.

His book is very limited numbers. I actually doubt it was ever published in any significant numbers. I have a photocopy and then the Nowata and Pryor libraries have copies. I don't know if there are any more that are available.

I can't verify it, but in his obituary it said he was an "Ace". I believe that indicates at least 5 confirmed kills. I know this sounds rediculous, but I understand he flew over 100 combat missions. The Army kept raising the mission count to go home and finally there was no mission count to go home and every pilot had to stay until it was over, if you lived that long.

That combat mission number I recall is awfully high, so maybe I need to check my info, but I think that is correct.

How's that for saying something and then saying I may not have it all correct?:thumbup3:

Here's what I do know:
He flew a P-47 Thunderbolt in Europe during WW2.
He had some confirmed kills.
He flew an awesome number of combat missions.
and he wrote a book entitled "Don't Worry Mom and Dad, I'm Okay"

http://www.86fighterbombergroup.com/documents/Newsletters/Nov2010NL-Website.pdf

Obviously, I'm not a whiz at putting in links, but this is an address of a web site concerning the 86th Fighter Group & their reunions that shows my uncles obituary on page 9. It indicates that my uncle indeed flew 118 combat missions in Europe. As far as I know, they were all in a P-47 Thunderbolt. I cannot find any verification of him being an Ace and indeed that may have been "license" taken by his friend who read Glen's obituary at the funeral. I have some other verification & photo material I would like to post, if I can figure out how to do it. (His name "Glen" is indeed spelled with 1 "n", although he was often refered to as "Glenn".

I just don't liking myself making claims without some backup. None the less, he was a remarkable man. He also won a silver star, but that is another story and backup. :-) He also turned 20 only a couple of months before VE Day, making him 19 during much of his combat duty.

This is a good thread concerning the bomber pilots, crew and planes. Remarkable men!

Latest posts

Top Bottom