Backwoods expo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I attended the Backwoods show yesterday working the Okla Youth Hunting Program booth. We had a good flow of people at the booth. The program gained many, many passionate people that wanted to help introduce children on their first deer hunt. Whitetail hunting is on the decline as more and more children are not following in the footsteps of their fathers and grandfathers. Our program has the children from non hunting families and more ranches are donating their places to us to heed the call. Although many feel the show is a bust. It was rewarding for our cause and several vendors added their support too. My .02

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's awesome but deerslayer I can't believe deer hunting Is on the decline I see way more people out hunting then I use to. I see people hunting deer now that never use to hunt. I feel that's because there is more deer now there for easier to be successful. I see alot of woman hunting now which is great. People are taking their children deer hunting at a younger age then I have seen in years past

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my little world, I definitely see less people hunting, and most of the people I know that do hunt are what I call "fair weather hunters". I have also seen an increase in the number of people doing "canned hunts" or buying guided hunts.

I have said it many times to a friend who buys a "canned hunt" every year that I will sell my guns and take up golf before I do something like that.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
24/7 - What I am referencing is that many of the children are not being introduced to hunting because the parents may not have a connection to the land. Dad may not hunt or Grandpa died and the family sold the land and divided the money. The parents may have gotten a divorce and the children were awarded to the mother. Mom has no one to talk to about taking her son or daughter hunting. We see this every year. One of the vendors at the show over the weekend was handing out free necklaces to children so that he could talk to Mom and Dad about hunting. He was trying to do his part to promote hunting for the children. OYH takes a select number of children, from non hunting families, on an all expense paid, fully guided, deer hunt during the special youth hunt season. If Mom or Dad had to pay for this hunt it would cost around $1,500.00. The parent or guardian pays $10.00 for the youth's deer tag plus transportation expense to and from the hunt site and that's all.
Since I have generated some interest in our program, I will start a thread tonight and explain what we do. We have several organizations who are supplying us with children and we have ranches that are donating their lands for our doe only hunts, what we need are volunteers. Last year we took 41 kids, next year our goal is 100. I will explain tonight.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
24/7 - What I am referencing is that many of the children are not being introduced to hunting because the parents may not have a connection to the land. Dad may not hunt or Grandpa died and the family sold the land and divided the money. The parents may have gotten a divorce and the children were awarded to the mother. Mom has no one to talk to about taking her son or daughter hunting. We see this every year. One of the vendors at the show over the weekend was handing out free necklaces to children so that he could talk to Mom and Dad about hunting. He was trying to do his part to promote hunting for the children. OYH takes a select number of children, from non hunting families, on an all expense paid, fully guided, deer hunt during the special youth hunt season. If Mom or Dad had to pay for this hunt it would cost around $1,500.00. The parent or guardian pays $10.00 for the youth's deer tag plus transportation expense to and from the hunt site and that's all.
Since I have generated some interest in our program, I will start a thread tonight and explain what we do. We have several organizations who are supplying us with children and we have ranches that are donating their lands for our doe only hunts, what we need are volunteers. Last year we took 41 kids, next year our goal is 100. I will explain tonight.
Deer Slayer I think it is awesome what yall are doing. I was just saying I cant believe there is a decline in the amount of deer hunters. Now my curiosity up I will check OWD and see how many deer tags that are sold. Deer Slayer keep up the good again I think it is awesome to get kids in the woods that otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom