Bank carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry in my bank all the time. They have a "no weapons" sign on the front door but I carried there before they put the sign up and they know I carry and are not worried about it. In fact I asked the same question on this forum several years ago right after they put the sign up. At that time I used the banks name and the next time I was in the bank the manager called me over to his office. I kind of felt like I was getting sent to the principal's office but he was not disturbed but told me that whenever their name shows up in a forum they get notified. In fact so do I was the owner of RID Pest Control. I guess the bank president called him to ask about me and having been a loyal customer for the past 23 years they did not have a problem with me carrying. Their point behind the "no weapons" sign is to discourage people having a shoot out in the bank. They want the bad guys out as quickly as possible. I told them that they only way I would pull my gun without my life being threatened. He said ok just don't use the banks name while online.

This is... interesting... I think I'd have to say, "Sorry you feel that way. I guess if you don't want to be seen by the general public as anti-gun, get rid of your anti-gun advertising." That kind of attitude would do more to encourage me to look for a new bank than the sign alone - as in saying one thing and doing another, but asking your customers not to call you out on it in public. Eff that.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do so many of you bank with anti-gun banks? There are plenty of banks that would love to have your business.

That's a good question with no good answer. Lots of reasons I stick with my current bank - investments, personal relationships and friendships with people whom have nothing to do with "corporate", accounts not easily moved to another bank, like those used to pay bills, support investments, loans and mortgages, etc. My personal banker and investment people are there and those relationships were forged before all the anti-gun propaganda reached the corporate level. Local bank instead of huge multi-national conglomerate, etc. I have thought several times about sending an email to corporate to explain my discomfort with their policy - specifically walking in and out of their facility with sometimes large amounts of cash. Of course, I can carry and just not let them know, but it's the intellectual dishonesty that rankles me a bit, seeming to support an entity that not only doesn't encourage the free exercise of what I see as one of the most important constitutionally-protected rights of citizens but the active discouragement of said rights. I support the right of people to hold their own beliefs and to express them in a 1st Amendment sense, but I don't think I'd want someone patronizing my business while wearing technically legal yet morally repugnant (to me) clothing like the T-shirts being advertised in the wake of the St. Louis riots, etc.

The bottom line is convenience, to be brutally honest - I'd like to move my accounts to a business that not just allows but actively encourages legal exercise of the 2nd Amendment, but it would definitely make my life harder. Hell, I began moving much of my financial interests away from Bank of America when it became clear they were anti-gun, but they have now removed their gunbuster signs and I've OC'd in there a few times without incident since. Am I a hypocrite? Probably. Aren't we all, in some ways? This doesn't excuse it, of course, it's just a simple acknowledgement that to some degree convenience is a hard thing to give up to stand on principle.

For example, my wife wants me to turn in my guns if they make them illegal. It's hard to explain to her that I would rather die or go to prison, leaving her and my son broke and alone than to give up what I see as such an important facet of our heritage without a fight. <sigh> She also doesn't understand that I would like to do a Pat Tillman and serve my country, even at the risk of death. While I would be sad that my son would grow up without me, I would like to think he would be deeply moved by the example and it might be the greatest lesson I could ever teach him.

I dunno... <sigh>

DReed

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the deductible. Quite likely a one off event will net an amount less than the deductible.

Banks today, especially branches maintain a fairly small amount of cash on hand. This is primarily the result of the cost of insuring the cash as well as lowering the potential loss in the event of a robbery. Clearly, unless there is a real threat of harm, let them take the money. They will not get much and in reality the bank, even with a deductible won't lose much.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Banks today, especially branches maintain a fairly small amount of cash on hand. This is primarily the result of the cost of insuring the cash as well as lowering the potential loss in the event of a robbery. Clearly, unless there is a real threat of harm, let them take the money. They will not get much and in reality the bank, even with a deductible won't lose much.

Usually talking about single teller drawers anyway, not what's on-hand in the cash vault.

DReed

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually talking about single teller drawers anyway, not what's on-hand in the cash vault.

There is only a small amount in the cash vault. Again cost to insure along with the ease of moving cash out to branches limits the amounts banks have on hand. They constantly watch the total amounts on hand to not get above insurance limits. In reality, most banks need little cash. More cash is shipped out from depositors like grocery stores than is shipped in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom