Battery? Starter? Solenoid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Battery could have a dead cell in it. Depending on the internal temps at times it may have enough amps to crank and then others maybe not. Otherwise the only other thing I could think of would be the solenoid which if this is like any other Ford would possible be externally mounted.

I think if a cell were dead, he wouldn't be reading 12.7V.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds like cables or terminals. do the lights dim when the car is chugging trying to start?

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

This voltage test looks to be what I need to attempt doing at the starter to make sure the starter is actually getting the juice like pumpkin said I think. So if I try that and my starter is getting the voltage then I can be pretty sure IT's the problem right? If it's NOT getting good voltage then I have a wiring issue in between, right?

Sol, you're just dying to bring that tester over (there might be some free stuff in it for ya too). I'll give you a yell sometime in the morning after I've had my coffee. :)

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Taurus in that range, we replaced the starter twice. Almost the exact same story you're reporting.

I'll put an Andrew Jackson you end up replacing the starter.

It's where I'm leaning... looks like I'll know for sure with the tests you guys have armed me with here and possibly Sol's gizmo.

Why did you have to do it twice? Is there something I can learn from that too?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's where I'm leaning... looks like I'll know for sure with the tests you guys have armed me with here and possibly Sol's gizmo.

Why did you have to do it twice? Is there something I can learn from that too?
Rebuilt one went bad a few months later, I think. Luckily, the mechanic we used was a stand-up guy and replaced it for us for cost only, about $60 I think. We did have the same intermittent no-click, no-start you're describing and I replaced the battery in the middle of it all.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn Nippondenso gear reduction starters. Contactors wear out. It will only get worse.

Some repair shops will replace the contacts, others just the starter. Get out your checkbook for the starter.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn Nippondenso gear reduction starters. Contactors wear out. It will only get worse.

Some repair shops will replace the contacts, others just the starter. Get out your checkbook for the starter.

if the tsunami effected them, we'll probably will be getting MUCH worse... :)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I hear that. The contacts aren't very expensive and I've purchased them locally before. I think the contacts are th biggest reason those Nippodenso stop cranking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom