Battery? Starter? Solenoid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do good work. Cost just depends on what needs to be replaced. I don't trust most of the Auto parts store "rebuilt" junk anymore.

Ya it reminds me of driving a UHaul out to Camp Pendleton years ago and having an alternator go out in Grant's NM. The guy they called out said he could get it running that day with a starter from the only store open on Sunday OR I could wait for the better part on Monday. He also said that the quick part wouldn't last me the trip.

Well, me being the young, naive and cocky Jarhead and wrench turner that I was thought there was no possible way that a freshly rebuilt alternator wouldn't last me the last 750 miles of my journey.

Turns out the mechanic was right... although he could have warned me that it wouldn't even make it to PHOENIX! The light came on and I ran that UHaul on battery power only until San Deigo and it gave out in the parking lot of the gas station just outside the airport where I had my car parked. UHaul sent out another mechanic with another alternator and he fixed it up only to have me find that the battery in my car was dead too lol. Luckily there were some jumper cables available at the security shack and I got it running too. What a mess...

I guess the moral is when a mechanic tells you not to go with a certain brand or part, LISTEN!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya it reminds me of driving a UHaul out to Camp Pendleton years ago and having an alternator go out in Grant's NM. The guy they called out said he could get it running that day with a starter from the only store open on Sunday OR I could wait for the better part on Monday. He also said that the quick part wouldn't last me the trip.

Well, me being the young, naive and cocky Jarhead and wrench turner that I was thought there was no possible way that a freshly rebuilt alternator wouldn't last me the last 750 miles of my journey.

Turns out the mechanic was right... although he could have warned me that it wouldn't even make it to PHOENIX! The light came on and I ran that UHaul on battery power only until San Deigo and it gave out in the parking lot of the gas station just outside the airport where I had my car parked. UHaul sent out another mechanic with another alternator and he fixed it up only to have me find that the battery in my car was dead too lol. Luckily there were some jumper cables available at the security shack and I got it running too. What a mess...

I guess the moral is when a mechanic tells you not to go with a certain brand or part, LISTEN!

Yeah, rebuilt is one of those terms where it doesn't mean what we think it should mean. Paint and 4 dollars worth of parts isn't rebuilt to me. Especially, when I have to pay 200 dollars for it and give them my core.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At that point I go over and hit the starter a couple of times with my biggest wrench. Yell at it a few times and even stand in the engine compartment and jump up and down making the car shake violently kinda like one of those apes throwing luggage commericals. I even beat my chest for good measure.
If you did this and it didnt start..........gotta be ....starter

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just went thru the same thing with a f150.

-checked battery - ok, 12.37 volts
-checked solenoid - ok (very easy test, go to the web - youtube and search for 'how to test your solenoid - this will test your battery, solenoid and starter as i understand it).
-checked the voltage i was getting at the starter - from my tester put positive wire on positive terminal of starter and ground the negative wire on the frame and was getting the same voltage as at the battery - 12. 37. volts. did not crank the engine.

as it turned out, my problem was the $17 starter switch in the column. replaced it and turned the key once and it started.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting Dan. So what even made you look at the switch? I mean the moment I had proper voltage at the starter and it didn't crank, I'd be calling it a day and getting it rebuilt.

Am I thinking about this wrong?

How did you narrow the switch eventually?

i just went thru the same thing with a f150.

-checked battery - ok, 12.37 volts
-checked solenoid - ok (very easy test, go to the web - youtube and search for 'how to test your solenoid - this will test your battery, solenoid and starter as i understand it).
-checked the voltage i was getting at the starter - from my tester put positive wire on positive terminal of starter and ground the negative wire on the frame and was getting the same voltage as at the battery - 12. 37. volts. did not crank the engine.

as it turned out, my problem was the $17 starter switch in the column. replaced it and turned the key once and it started.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the starter has 12 volts from the batteries on the "BIG" wire to the solenoid. and the signal wire on the starter solenoid has voltage when the key switch is turned and the starter does not enguage its the starter and or solenoid depending if they are together or seperate, im guessing they are together. Ron at auto battery and electric is kind of a jerk but they do good work and will probably have one on the shelf. its worth going to that place to see what kind of response you get from the guy LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom