Bear! One spotted in my area.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, with that in mind, when I take my wife an pups on a walk in the evenings, can I continue to carry my 45ACP (either my 1911 or XD)?

Should I stick my wife with her S&W 357 Mag too?

KSG with slugs strapped to me?

Should I forget all that and buy me a huge-assed short-barreled revolver?

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black bears dont see humans as meal. Your dog, on the otherhand, is on the menu. If you startle it and it feels it has nowhere to run it could attack. Its always better safe than sorry to carry in the field. Mountain lions, and even bobcats gave been known to attack humans.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black bears dont see humans as meal. Your dog, on the otherhand, is on the menu. If you startle it and it feels it has nowhere to run it could attack. Its always better safe than sorry to carry in the field. Mountain lions, and even bobcats gave been known to attack humans.

and dont forget if she has cubs...

I will be carrying, its just a matter of what should I be carrying. I want to be able to stop it if I have to.

I know they false-charge to a threat, but if it gets past that point, I dont want to take any chances.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I consider Chuck Hawks a pretty good authority on a lot of matters. Here is his opinion on bears:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/firearms_defense_bears.htm

My opinion:
If you are lucky, your encounter will start at 40 yards out, and if you are honest with yourself you will admit that you can't hit a charging bear with a pistol of any caliber at that range, let alone a vital shot.

Any pistol caliber will require a well-placed shot to the nervous system. Anything less will just tick them off.

I personally think a lever-action guide gun in 45/70 or similar to be the best. Worst case I'd even take a 30/30 carbine. At least I'd have a fair chance at a good shot.

There's a reason it's called a guide gun. I've never heard of a guide carrying less.

edit: I'd put your shotgun in-between a pistol and the 30/30. This is simply based on the hydrostatic shock of the 30/30. Think of the shotgun as an easier-to-aim, .72 caliber pistol. ;-)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just attach a drag weight big enough or a grapple hook to your dogs leash to throw down when a bear approaches. It will prevent your dog from out running you and the wife.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just attach a drag weight big enough or a grapple hook to your dogs leash to throw down when a bear approaches. It will prevent your dog from out running you and the wife.

Not a bad idea, but I could just tie the other end around me and my wife,... Odie would do the rest....

SneEt1lqpGnGYO-1nrX95yQOEXO4Eh-V1sIJEJQBvXM=w701-h524-no

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep the 30/30 on my tractor when I'm out, I guess I need to get a strap set up on it.

Dag-nabit. I let myself get suckered into chasing rabbits...

If you are going to carry with just a sling, think about going across your back, hanging from the off-shoulder, muzzle down. You can bring it to your shoulder fairly quickly.

Another option would be to get a scabbard. Be warned, you can spend hours following Google-crumbs.

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_scabbards.htm Scroll down to back-pack scabbards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom