beginning fly fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis
That was 30+ years ago.
Funny part was that it was getting ready for my first fly-only trip, having fished for trout with spinning gear forever. Anyway, I made it up to a famous, heavily fished trout stream in the eastern Sierra, Hot Creek. The public section is really hard to fish. Very clear water, lots of weeds, lots of fishing pressure. Experts fish this using the longest, lightest leaders you have ever see. My third cast was perfect, hitting an 18" square of open water surrounded by weeds. I caught a 20" brown trout. Its still the best I have ever done with a fly rod. It was cool doing this with dime store equipment, with all these fanatics watching.
jej

I'm at the point where I'll make two or three good casts, and then really trash the next one. Its like anything else though, practice, practice and more more practice.
That was a really nice brown:D

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I'll make two or three good casts, and then really trash the next one. Its like anything else though, practice, practice and more more practice.
That was a really nice brown:D

FWIW - I am no expert at all - for me, a bad cast is usually caused by flexing the wrist too much. That takes the tip of the rod too far back. For me, I do better with a firm wrist, getting the movement from flexing the elbow, and not letting the tip of the rod go much past 12 o'clock. Do that, and feel the line weight bend the rod back before doing the forward motion, and things go OK. I do not cast for real distance, and have done all my fly fishing in small water.

jej

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW - I am no expert at all - for me, a bad cast is usually caused by flexing the wrist too much. That takes the tip of the rod too far back. For me, I do better with a firm wrist, getting the movement from flexing the elbow, and not letting the tip of the rod go much past 12 o'clock. Do that, and feel the line weight bend the rod back before doing the forward motion, and things go OK. I do not cast for real distance, and have done all my fly fishing in small water.

jej

Flexing my wrist is my main issue. What makes me mad, is that I know what the issue is and still do it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to practice your roll casts - those come in handy in tight spots where you don't have enough room for your back casts.

As for flies for bluegills - I just wrap some white or yellow yarn around a hook and tie it off. That little spot of color moving spasmodically through the water is irresistible for bluegills and crappie :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom