Best BBQ place around OKC is...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with @Shadowrider, mesquite can get real tangy and easily overpower the meat. I prefer just plain oak hardwood for a light, smoky taste. By the way, @jmike314, what's that big rolled up piece of meat being held together with skewers in the second pic in your post above?
I use oak in almost everything. Depending on the meat, the oak is paired with Apple or cherry.
Sometimes I'll use hickory or pecan.
Very rarely go with mesquite.....Not my first choice.

That roll of meat is a rack of StL ribs. When I want low & slow i use the smoker and it's not big enough to lay flat or hang. The smoker will hold lower temps for much longer times than I've gotten out of the kettle this far. The kettle is great for hot & fast smoking.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time Wild Horse Mountain BBQ south of Sallisaw was the best. The first time I went there was in the mid 70's when the old man ran it. It was literally a dilapidated wooden shack with a big Pepsi sign. A real BBQ Joint. The Q was the best I had ever had and the baked beans were addicting. I also remember driving from Okemah to pick up dinner to bring home, but that's just the 'oilies' did things back in the day.

I was there again about 10 years ago, it had been sold, new fancy building and the same recipes. Just no atmosphere.

I remember this place. Best bbq I’ve eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a late afternoon doctor appointment today and we're thinking about just grabbing a bite afterwards.....we've never tried Dickey's BBQ in Norman, is it any good ?

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a late afternoon doctor appointment today and we're thinking about just grabbing a bite afterwards.....we've never tried Dickey's BBQ in Norman, is it any good ?

I generally stick with stand-alone BBQ joints and bypass the chains. Two exceptions in OK: Bad Brad's & Rib Crib, both home grown. OTOH, I'll try about any BBQ place one time. The Dickey's here in Tulsa is no more - bad management, IMO. I had some at a couple of catered events and it seemed like good stuff. They just couldn't run the retail side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom