Best Magazines for Alloy Framed 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is some question/debate about using mags with split followers in these guns. Some people advocate polymer followers, saying that the metal in a split follower mag may mar the ramp in the frame of an alloy gun. I'm not totally sold on that; why would reputable manufacturers make an alloy gun that was subject to possible damage using a standard GI style mag? Enlighten me on this if you have knowledge to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, back in the old days, I think I would have gotten lots more responses and opinions. Seems like OSA isn't the same. Oh say it isn't so!

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Any mag that works in the pistol. I always used McCormick mags and never had any problems. I think the info out there on metal followers battering the feed ramp is way over rated.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Wilson's in my aluminum framed guns. I'm not sure if the polymer followers are neccessary, but they work well in my guns. I suspect feedramp damage is a concern, otherwise manufacturers would not put in inserts.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any mag that works in the pistol. I always used McCormick mags and never had any problems. I think the info out there on metal followers battering the feed ramp is way over rated.

I called Colt Customer Service; the guy I spoke with said they do get asked this question about magazines in their lightweight guns occasionally. He said "We're not going to make a lightweight pistol that can't handle regular magazines so just use whatever you like." He did recommend Colt factory mags of course, which if I'm not mistaken, were made by both Metalform and CheckMate. This goes along with what I said in my original post so I'm just not going to worry about it. I have a couple Colt mags, a McCormick, and a Wilson 47D now and the gun shoots fine with all of them. I also field stripped the gun, inserted a mag with a split follower, and looked carefullly at the way the follower sits in relation to the ramp...I can't see how the lower edge of the split follower could touch it, much less hurt it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom