Best Magazines for Alloy Framed 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen a chewed up feed ramp on a LWT frame, not saying it doesn't exist though. Might want to pick Mike's or Dr. Greyson's brain on that.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The standard split-follower mags can indeed leave marks/dings on an alloy feedramp. However there are lots of available mags that have modern followers that won't ding the feedramps.

The old style split followers can slip forward with the last round and touch your alloy ramp. Alloy frame-safe followers have an enclosed front that's not able to slip forward. The early 'Chip McCormick/Shooting star followers can do the same damage as a split follower. Newer McCormick followers(like Kimber mags use) have a enclosed front these days. I imagine about any plastic follower mag would be safe as well as any mag with a follower having a front leg so it can't slide forward should be fine too.

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've been using pachmayr mags for a couple of decades in all my 1911s, including a s70 LW commander with no issues with damage to any of them
my first randall had a couple of pachmayrs with it, and have been sold on them ever since, AFAIK they aren't made any more, so i've also got several chip mccormick 10 rounders that have given good service also

Latest posts

Top Bottom