Best way to color fill gun markings??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use a heat gun to warn the item ,rub a Crayola caryon color of your choose over the markings ,allow to cool and wipe off --remove by heating up and wiping off

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it on a number of my guns. I like the contrast it provides. Color-filled the rollmarks and lettering on a bunch of my ARs, I used simple model paint. It was actually a fun project for me, learning how to color different parts in different colors without the colors running together, how to get them to be brighter (paint with white first, then your red or green or blue on top of it), using turpentine to clean up excess, etc. It's actually pretty neat, I thought.

If you think that makes me homosexual... well... I think it says more about you than it does about me. lol.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put white first below reds, hoppes 9 will take the excess off but it will stain the color fill if it's supposed to be white. One issue I have ran across is when you wipe the excess off it smears into the side of the receiver.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done it on a number of my guns. I like the contrast it provides. Color-filled the rollmarks and lettering on a bunch of my ARs, I used simple model paint. It was actually a fun project for me, learning how to color different parts in different colors without the colors running together, how to get them to be brighter (paint with white first, then your red or green or blue on top of it), using turpentine to clean up excess, etc. It's actually pretty neat, I thought.

If you think that makes me homosexual... well... I think it says more about you than it does about me. lol.

I tried that color fill once on a Glock using the melted crayon thing and it looked crappy. I was never good at arts and crafts anyway. Now if I could get Robar to do it with his hot pink...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I avoided the crayon because I'd heard stories of it melting when the gun got hot. Also I figured grit and stuff could get embedded in it, being soft wax, and it would eventually get dingy or something. The model paint I used looks as good as the day I did it.

i236_photobucket_com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20130511_163248_zps7de685c1_jpg_original_.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom