Big Tornado Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s like trying to predict the fall of an empire or a civil upheaval.

Are there patterns? Yes. Do they produce any meaningful data to help you predict your next interaction with any precision? No.

The one thing that studying the weather history should tell you is that you need to be prepared 24/7 365 for high winds, excessive water fall, and the occasional catastrophic event.

Practice a dry or two and hope you never need to use and of the preps you have made.
Then you ain't a true "Okie", without the lawn chair and beverage

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma County is pretty large. They will blow the siren when it’s not even that close.
Some systems are more granular--Norman's system is broken down into zones, so they don't sound all of the sirens except during the weekly test. I don't know how many systems are zoned like that, though.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking you’re right. I live out in the county and there’s a siren at the water tower maybe 1/4 mile away. I have really good hearing and can’t hear it blasting away when I’m in my house.
Now speaking on my “basement”. I’m thinking it might be a little different than how most are constructed as every home grown Okie (Okiejoe for one) that’s been down there says “ah man, you guys will be plenty safe in here.” Yes, it certainly wouldn’t be as safe as an actual tornado shelter but the way they cut it into the hill (15’ in then went 90° from that about 45’) it’s surrounded on all four sides 10’ down by earth and reinforced concrete. We hunker down in a far back corner which is a 20 sqft walk-in shower and just the way it’s built it would take some really bad luck for anything to get to us. That’s all underneath and right in the middle of a two story 3,000 sqft home that’s set on concrete slabs on three sides. Maybe I’m being blissfully naïve but I figure If a tornado does get us down there I’m confident it was the Lord that called us home. 😉

Sounds like you are safe whether you want to be or not. We are similar as our house is earth burned on the north with a 12” thick concrete wall holding back about 6-7’ of earth. Standing outside on the north the gutters will hit you about knee high. Inside there are a couple of perpendicular concrete walls supporting the north wall. If you know which corner to go to you won’t need no stinkin cellar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom