Big Tornado Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've got an underground shelter. But I sure wish we lived close enough to town that we'd here the sirens go off. When the weather goes to chit, Like most, I tend to watch the news closely. Also have a nice Midland weather radio that sounds alerts and listen to that everynight before bed if the weather is out of the ordinary. But damn, no siren availability puts me on edge.
Oklahoma County is pretty large. They will blow the siren when it’s not even that close. Like you, I just watch the news. A couple casters here are alarmists and get people worked up. Been here 52 years.
When I was younger my grandpa would wake us up and take us to the shelter. How he knew I don’t know. There was one channel and it went off early. Never got hit though out in far Nw Oklahoma

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
personal tornado stories: thru the years we've had several close calls....total destruction within 1/2 mile, but the one I remember most was May 3, 1999. I was home...wife and daughter were at a school luncheon. She had her cell phone. I was watching the TV's coverage of the helicopter following that monster and nothing but rubble on the ground....probably 1/2 mile wide path.....headed our direction. Called the wife who had just filled her plate and sat down....told her to come home immediately. She said we'd head that way after we eat. I said NO, head home now, big tornado headed our way. She brought plate and all home....lucky for us the tornado took a left turn and ended up hitting just a mile from where she was.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you got her home safe @tynyphil

We have a 750sqft finished walk-out basement and when we get the notification to pay attention I move us all down there (wife, myself and 3 dogs). There’s a bed, TV, bathroom……basically all the comforts. That way should anything really happen I’m already where I would hunker down.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you got her home safe @tynyphil

We have a 750sqft finished walk-out basement and when we get the notification to pay attention I move us all down there (wife, myself and 3 dogs). There’s a bed, TV, bathroom……basically all the comforts. That way should anything really happen I’m already where I would hunker down.
The one that hit a 1/2 mile from us....good friends had a walk out basement as you describe....it took the top half of their house ....gone...but they were in the basement area. Did have a good size tree in the basement with them but no one hurt.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe sirens are expected to only alert those outdoors. Although some can be heard inside closer homes, they shouldn't be relied on for notification indoors.
I’m thinking you’re right. I live out in the county and there’s a siren at the water tower maybe 1/4 mile away. I have really good hearing and can’t hear it blasting away when I’m in my house.
Now speaking on my “basement”. I’m thinking it might be a little different than how most are constructed as every home grown Okie (Okiejoe for one) that’s been down there says “ah man, you guys will be plenty safe in here.” Yes, it certainly wouldn’t be as safe as an actual tornado shelter but the way they cut it into the hill (15’ in then went 90° from that about 45’) it’s surrounded on all four sides 10’ down by earth and reinforced concrete. We hunker down in a far back corner which is a 20 sqft walk-in shower and just the way it’s built it would take some really bad luck for anything to get to us. That’s all underneath and right in the middle of a two story 3,000 sqft home that’s set on concrete slabs on three sides. Maybe I’m being blissfully naïve but I figure If a tornado does get us down there I’m confident it was the Lord that called us home. 😉

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weather patterns are as reliable as the "past numbers" display at the roulette table (column on the left side).

X3RoYi5qcGc

Latest posts

Top Bottom