Bill would require all Oklahoma voters to re-register, show birth certificate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What does showing a BC prove you know or care? I’ve been on the register for over 30 years. Show my ID and vote. Hell, I don’t even know where my birth certificate is.

low information voters won't jump through hoops to vote, because they don't really care

Taking advantage of those people is part of how ballot harvesting works

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sure, okay. but why stop there, if a birth certificate is required to get back on the voting roll then why not allow same day voter registration. Make it simpler for voters who weren't aware of the change and/or new voters to simply show up, show ID and a birth certificate, and vote.

Why make voting harder if you are simply worried about taking steps to protect the process from fraud.

So, if same day registration and voting is allowed, how is a voting precinct location going to know that "said registrant" hasn't already registered and voted at another precinct?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, if same day registration and voting is allowed, how is a voting precinct location going to know that "said registrant" hasn't already registered and voted at another precinct?
if a person is required to vote within a precinct then their DL will show their address and the corresponding location they are allowed to vote. You've already verified who they are and if they are in the correct place to vote. Entering their information into the system to register them to vote can easily be coordinated across locations.

If you're worried about a person using fake documents multiple times then nothing about requiring them to register ahead of election day will immediately catch them in the fraud either.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if a person is required to vote within a precinct then their DL will show their address and the corresponding location they are allowed to vote. You've already verified who they are and if they are in the correct place to vote. Entering their information into the system to register them to vote can easily be coordinated across locations.

If you're worried about a person using fake documents multiple times then nothing about requiring them to register ahead of election day will immediately catch them in the fraud either.

Advance registration would allow the election board time to verify addresses and stuff. After all, it is pretty simple to create fake ID's.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Advance registration would allow the election board time to verify addresses and stuff. After all, it is pretty simple to create fake ID's.

it's also pretty simple to verify if an ID is real or not these days. And given that it'd probably be a relatively small number of people registering on the same day, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to allow them to cast a provisional ballot since it will still take time to certify the election results, during which time they could be verified.

If you're going to the effort to create a system that prevents fraud, why can't it also be used to create one that makes it easier for people to show up and vote?

Last edited:

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that was what the new DL was for so you wouldnt have to show all these other documents for everything you did. But as everyone knows that is just a joke altogether.

Motor voter is federal and most states have adopted it for its registration. The state can have its own process for voter registration.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s unfair, racist voter suppression! J/k, I’m good with it. Now if we could get all states to do it.

Are you really? Even requiring it from folks who have been registered and have lived in the same location for years?

I think this is going to backfire . . . if my dad had to re-register I'm not sure he could provide a copy of his birth certificate. He like so many others would need to submit a request to get a copy. And who knows how long it would take to get one.

I submitted a request for a copy of mine back in 2022 or so and I think I got lucky to get it within 6-8 weeks. I've heard of some never getting them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom