Black widow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This evening, once its dark, take your flash light and hold it up to your forehead and sweep the beam across your yard. All those little green and blue shiny dots... Thems spiders!

You can walk in my back yard at night, and watch the wolf spiders scatter!!

I was spraying the weeds in my yard a few weeks ago with a pump up sprayer and the wolf spiders were a scattering! It was like a horror movie, I think there was one or two in every square foot of my entire lot. I'm not exaggerating either.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go out at night with an LED flashlight. shine it around on the ground.

look for tiny little sparkles .. spider eyes!

likely to see hundreds all around you anywhere you go.

bevhoward.com_spidereyes.jpg

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The spiders are bad this year. We used to have the house/yard/barn sprayed for bugs every three months. This summer we've changed to every month. Have not seen but a fre brown recluse at our house but we have more than our share of black widow; forturnately not in the house...yet. We have a good number of wolf spider and 10 buckets full of brown grass spiders. I need to keep them under control because I know my wife would make me move is she found a big wolf spider or a tarantula in the house.

C

Clay

Hmm, I have seen a steady decrease in BR in my house over the years as I continue my extermination practices. And wolf spiders are no more this year than any other that I have seen. I have seen 3 FBs but thats not unusual. I wonder what the difference is? I had a purple Martin colonie (they have already fledged and migrated south) so manbe they keps the food sorce of bugs too low to support many spiders. Not many bugs at all this year. In fact I havent seen one wasp or yeller jacket nest this year.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to move a stack of bricks in my back yard earlier this year. My son warned me that a big Black Widow lived in those bricks, but I had to move them. There were about a hundred bricks. It was sort of like Russian Roulette. Wearing leather gloves, I'd pick up a brick, peek inside and then move it. As I got toward the bottom of the stack, I'd decided that there was no spider and that I'd been all nervous for nothing. Then, as I picked up the very last brick and looked inside, I saw her. Her body looked the size of a small grape. I dispatched her with a stick, but the entire process was unnerving. (I can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd discovered her with no warning.) Shudder.

C

Clay

I had to move a stack of bricks in my back yard earlier this year. My son warned me that a big Black Widow lived in those bricks, but I had to move them. There were about a hundred bricks. It was sort of like Russian Roulette. Wearing leather gloves, I'd pick up a brick, peek inside and then move it. As I got toward the bottom of the stack, I'd decided that there was no spider and that I'd been all nervous for nothing. Then, as I picked up the very last brick and looked inside, I saw her. Her body looked the size of a small grape. I dispatched her with a stick, but the entire process was unnerving. (I can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd discovered her with no warning.) Shudder.
Had I been told it was there, Id have built a bonfire on the brick pile and then moved them the next day.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a more than a few daddy long legs spiders crawl up around are front door this Spring. We usually leave all wolf spiders alone unless a dog or cat gets them....but we got chewed to death this year by chiggers.......

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use carburetor cleaner & a cig lighter for spiders. My mower controls & seat were covered in spider webs, hit them with the flame they just disapeared. Stand for enough away only the flame & not the liquied hits the object or u may have a fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom