Blasting with soda media?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried plastic media? We used it occasionally in an aerospace shop when we had to be "gentle". Boeing sent us some hydroform dies to be "de-rusted", some fool left them outside. Each one cost thousands to make on 5 axis CNC profilers. It took time but it worked. Also works on thin alum sheet.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a stock setup, with a plastic tube picking up the media from the bottom of the cabinet. I can see where the soda media has been cleared in a conical hole from around the pickup. What modification did you do to your pickup mechanism?

As it is though, I’ve had zero issues with glass media for heavier duty jobs, and the walnut media seems to be doing OK for lighter jobs, so I probably will just not use soda media anymore. I was hoping for a quick and easy solution (like the rice in a bag), otherwise I’ll just stick with other media.

I worked with Mike at tacomacompany.com. He has several upgrades for cabinets that include modifying the media intake to pull off of the bottom of the hopper instead of using the tube pickup setup. In my case he had an extension I welded on to my cabinet, but it looks like he has a way to modify the dump flap now.

http://www.tacomacompany.com/

He is a really nice guy, spent quite a bit of time with me on the phone talking through the mods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom