Bobtail my 1991 Commander?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took my Colt out to the 'smith for some work and Im really leaning towards having it bobbed. Does anyone have any input? I would say Im 95% on having it done but just thought Id see if anyone had any thoughts good or bad. Ive never handled a bobtailed pistol but they look bada$$

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I took my Colt out to the 'smith for some work and Im really leaning towards having it bobbed. Does anyone have any input? I would say Im 95% on having it done but just thought Id see if anyone had any thoughts good or bad. Ive never handled a bobtailed pistol but they look bada$$

Helps to hide it when you are carrying but if your not carrying it or just doing it because you like the looks save the $ and upgrade the sights or the trigger/hammer. JMHO

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Helps to hide it when you are carrying but if your not carrying it or just doing it because you like the looks save the $ and upgrade the sights or the trigger/hammer. JMHO

It will be my #1 carry gun when I get it back, the sights and trigger/hammer are being taken care of as well. Dawson 3dot tritium, C&S trigger pull kit and STI lightweight trigger, Ed Brown Beavertail.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It just did not feel good in my hand. I almost felt like I was going to drop it. It seemed to move around during rapid fire. I have really short fingers which may have bearing on it. It is just not for me.

bigbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can conceal it ok without cutting it down, I wouldn't do it. If you are afraid of it showing while carrying then by all means. There's nothing like going around worrying if your gun is showing through your shirt.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reckon it's a personal choice.

Seems odd that these pistols have been carried for ??? many years, now somebody thinks that bobbing them is a good idea?

Sounds like "marketing" stuff, you know, a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Personally I don't like the feel of it, and wouldn't consider buying a pistol that has been bobbed.

I like the 1911 very much just the way it is and after shooting them for 40+ years, I wouldn't consider changing mine just 'cause someone thinks it "looks cool".

Latest posts

Top Bottom