Broken propane grill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which one? And don’t tell me the one who likes hunky firemen; that’ll really confuse me
😂🤣
Me.jpg

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not much of a propane grill man personally. And I don't really like charcoal either. I rolled up some rocks and made a fire ring and generally cook that way. I like it better it seems and the price is right. I was actually moving my propane grill from one shop to the other shop and pulled the right-hand platform (plastic) completely off by the handle. The lid handle was already broken and I'm going to weld a new one in an arc from some small chain. Whoever engineered this has obviously never worked in the oilfield! lol

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife changed her mind (again) so I am going to try and repair this grill. I guess it is okay since it was one of our back up cooking methods in case the electric was out for long. I am thinking something like JB Weld. Any other suggestions? And yes she took the pics on her phone. :P

grill 1.jpg
grill 2.jpg

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife changed her mind (again) so I am going to try and repair this grill. I guess it is okay since it was one of our back up cooking methods in case the electric was out for long. I am thinking something like JB Weld. Any other suggestions? And yes she took the pics on her phone. :P

View attachment 263855View attachment 263856

I know it has sentimental value, but that grill is shot. If you’re keeping it for the sentiment, you don’t need to fix the lid. You can try JB but it won’t last.

Your wife sounds a little like my girlfriend. Her late father bought her new tires for her daily driver before he passed. Last thing he bought her. They are wore slick, and I’m buying her new tires. She doesn’t want to get rid of the slick ones, cause…. I get it, they have some sentimental value.

Great, where ya gonna keep ‘em? The hall closet? Gonna wear them as bracelets?

We’re leaving the tires at the tire shop. We’ll discuss it again, but in the end, she’s a grown ass woman, and she needs to act like it. They’re tires. If she’s insistent, I’ll cut a piece off one of them and she can keep that. If she wants to keep all 4 tires, the new ones will be the last thing I buy her, because she’s irrational and crazy, and I’ve been down that road and don’t need to go down it again. I remember all the pot holes.

Good luck with the repair. You can probably buy a new small grill for around 100 bucks, U.S. give or take. It been my experience, every 100 bucks you spend on a grill correlates exactly to the number of years you get out of the grill, if they live outside. Your experience might be different.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it has sentimental value, but that grill is shot. If you’re keeping it for the sentiment, you don’t need to fix the lid. You can try JB but it won’t last.

Your wife sounds a little like my girlfriend. Her late father bought her new tires for her daily driver before he passed. Last thing he bought her. They are wore slick, and I’m buying her new tires. She doesn’t want to get rid of the slick ones, cause…. I get it, they have some sentimental value.

Great, where ya gonna keep ‘em? The hall closet? Gonna wear them as bracelets?

We’re leaving the tires at the tire shop. We’ll discuss it again, but in the end, she’s a grown ass woman, and she needs to act like it. They’re tires. If she’s insistent, I’ll cut a piece off one of them and she can keep that. If she wants to keep all 4 tires, the new ones will be the last thing I buy her, because she’s irrational and crazy, and I’ve been down that road and don’t need to go down it again. I remember all the pot holes.

Good luck with the repair. You can probably buy a new small grill for around 100 bucks, U.S. give or take. It been my experience, every 100 bucks you spend on a grill correlates exactly to the number of years you get out of the grill, if they live outside. Your experience might be different.
It does live outside, on a covered porch and with it's own cover. It has lasted over 26 years that I know of.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small hinges that you bolt on with stainless nuts and bolts.

That is they way I would fix it.

Now a really poor boy way would be to drill a 1/4" hole in the lid and the base and take bailing wire or steel electric fence wire
and cut about 5 or 6 long strands and clamp them in a vise or secure one end to a tree limb or nail on a post and take the other ends
and group them together and start twisting them.
Basically making twisted rope from bailing wire.

Run it through the holes you drilled to make a bailing wire Circle hinge ..kind of like a key ring.
Twist the 2 ends to secure it.

Been there done that.

Now if a plastic ice chest lid hinges break off you can make a dandy hinge from leather.
Screw the leather to the lid and to the base.

I have used worn out leather boots and belts to make ice chest hinges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom