Buy a new or used car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My 75 Datsun pickup got 42 mpg on the highway. Best part was it came with a crank start in case your battery was dead.
My Dad drove Datsun pickups back around then. Good trucks but I don't remember any of them having a crank start option.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad drove Datsun pickups back around then. Good trucks but I don't remember any of them having a crank start option.

I was reminded that it was on my old yellow 68 Datsun that had the hand crank. There was big nut on the crank shaft pulley that was notched. The crank handle was stored behind the seat. We tried it a few times and it took a bit of effort.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a couple old tractors with a hand-crank backup. Good way to break an arm if ya don't know what yer doing. :D

FWIW, turn it over slowly until ya feel compression, then always pull up on the crank to start it. Pushing down to start is when it can kick back against your arm.

Lol, there's my old guy trivia input for the day...
:drunk2:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that that ridiculous spam from some Deli somewhere is gone, (thank you Okie4570), here's my two-cents: If I were to go buy a luxury automobile today, I would at least consider a late model, low-mileage used vehicle. But new Civics are fairly cheap, not really that much more than a good, late model used Civic.

I bought a new Civic, the "As-loaded-as-it-can-get-for-a-Civic" in 2010. I am still driving it today. It has been payment-free for the last 8 years. I have the oil changed when it says to do so, and I bought new tires at about 45,000 miles. When this one finally dies, I'll have it towed away and go buy another new one. I can't see buying a used Civic, with the potential for trouble, when a new one is not that much more. Buy new, avoid the potential hassles of a used car, and pay it off as fast as you can or pay cash if you can. Buy new. Drive cheap. Enjoy peace of mind. Avoid the possibility of expensive repairs, and reap the benefits of what is kind of like the "Glock 19 of the Automobile World."

Latest posts

Top Bottom