Buying hard liquor in the grocery store in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was someone here or someone on Facebook, but I believe they owned a liquor store and said that they would support a bill allowing grocery stores to sell liquor and wine. In doing this, it would allow more products to be sold in our state, including inside liquor stores. Plus, grocery stores will probably only stock the basics. You can cigars at the grocery store, but if you want something decent, you go to a tobacco shop. I don't see tobacco shops hurting due to citizens being able to purchase Swisher Sweets at Wal Mart.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that I'll tell you is lips that touch liquor will never touch mine. I'm not one to judge, but it sounds like somebody's letting the Devil get a toe hold.

Not to be contrary, but isn't that exactly what you're doing? I'm not trying to start a tiff, just pointing the fact out, in case you weren't aware.

Sadly, I miss the fact that I use to be able to go to a single location and purchase all of my culinary supplies. Here you have to make a separate stop to buy the perfect marinade or sauce supplement, which I find a touch bothersome. While alcohol is one of the go-to items for those with addictive personalities intent on inflicting self harm, it is also a wonderful cooking ingredient and nice as an apéritif at times as well.

Adult beverages are another one of the many things that are great, but can be misused with harmful consequences. That doesn't predicate that such a thing should be banned - kind of like firearms.

Also, I didn't know that was why Costco hadn't opened here. That really sucks, because Costco is absolutely awesome. I'm going to guess that's why we don't have Trader Joe's as well. Blerg.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here who would be opposed to repealing this state's liquor laws? I am genuinely curious as to what the rationale for these laws is. It seems like everybody I talk to agrees that they are ridiculous. I haven't heard any sort of cogent argument in favor of them.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here who would be opposed to repealing this state's liquor laws? I am genuinely curious as to what the rationale for these laws is. It seems like everybody I talk to agrees that they are ridiculous. I haven't heard any sort of cogent argument in favor of them.

Yep every liquor wholesaler and retail package store owner in the state.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Yep every liquor wholesaler and retail package store owner in the state"

Growing up in west Texas, they had their share of stupid liquor laws. Abilene, the home of 3 Christian colleges, is dry. Every 2 years, the ballot would have a referendum to allow liquor sales within the city. Ads would run for months against passing because of liquor abuse among college students. Failed every time. The failure was always blamed on "those d***ed straight-laced Baptists". The PRODUCER of the ads. PINKIE's Liquor Store. Had a store on every major road just outside of town. Same thing in Midland.

But at the same time, as a 16yo, I could go to the little country store out behind the airport and buy ANYTHING they had. Never had a problem, first time I got carded was on my 18th birthday upon entering a BAR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom