Buying local

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for clarification, it was an Sig Sauer Tango-MSR 1x10x28. It was $ 579.99 before tax. Midway has them for $ 463.99 with free shipping. I understand the small business dilemma, but it stills seems a bit much of a difference. I guess the only true way to judge the price difference would be to know their inventory costs.
As I said in my previous post and Uncle TK described in his, Midway is more than likely buying those scopes a hundred at a time and is a top tier dealer, and your dealer is probably buying one or two. If I was a betting man, I’d say your dealer probably pays more for that scope than Midway sells it for.
A local business needs to have a bunch of instant gratification customers that want something TODAY and don’t price shop. Unfortunately, I’m not that kind of guy and am forced to stretch my dollars as far as they can.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a scope the other day at Village Tactical. I get my transfers through them and I try to buy from local vendors if they have something I’m interested in. The scope I purchased was $ 120.00 higher than what I could have gotten it for from an online website. I don’t mind a few dollars difference, but I feel this was excessive. Any thoughts on why such a price disparity that I may be missing?
What percentage increase does that $120.00 represent? Is it a $1200.00 scope or a $2400.00 scope….. the percentage matters to me more than the dollar amount. That is a difference between a 10% and a 5% premium for buying local and that is how I look at these scenarios the percentage premium I am paying for my desire to support local business. At that point you need to determine how high a percentage premium you are willing to pay to align with you “buying local” values.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not mind buying from Midway USA they donate millions to youth shooting teams and schools etc.
Keeping money local but does it do as much good?
I do like to keep money local when I can and I love using cash.
But I must draw the line somewhere.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an example of how a Distributorship works.

Ruger Retailer Resources

Ruger only has 15 Customers see, Distributer List.
The Distributer has a minimum order to make a purchase from Ruger (Example 100 Firearms)

The Distributer has pricing levels. Examples below.
Level A Sub Distributer 10 gun minimum. (Example Large Internet Dealers)
Level B Sub Distributer 5 gun minimum. (Example Large Retails)
Level C Sub Distributer 1 gun minimum. (Local Small Brick and Mortar Store

The small brick & mortar store’s cost for a firearm could be more than what a Level A Sub Distributer Retail Price is.
Not just that but when you buy 5 or 10 of a specific firearm you often get one free. So a shop might sell all of them at MAP and still make money off the free item.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes but how much? how much of the 120 dollars was tax? just asking
They'd charge tax based on where the buyer lives and/or where the item is shipped. Which might very well be different than what VT would charge.

I live in Logan County so the sales tax rate for me should be 5.25% for items shipped to me. But if I buy in the city of Edmond or other Oklahoma County location it'll be higher.

The Village rate is likely in the 8 or 9% range.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must be one of the only people that buy almost exclusively online. Why? Because I have the time to do the research online and find the best deal. Also, I don’t have to go anywhere, so I save gas and time running around. Buying local sounds great, but stores also have to keep up with the times. Sell on the internet. Sell on Gunbroker. Drop ship if you can. It’s the ones that can’t or won’t change their business strategies that will ultimately go under. I’m not one to buy local as my “charity contribution.” Business is business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom