Camping out on the Illinois (Tahlequah area)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blow off the Illinois, and go to the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Certified fun by Ridgehunter and myself.
You will never visit the Illinois after you do.

I worked one summer at the Buffalo National River park, and twice did a float trip down the river to scout for navigational hazards (mostly downed barbed wire fences). We camped overnight on sand bars each time, and waking up at dawn each morning in the middle of a fog was quite the experience. We saw only a few people, as we were on the upper river where a lot more portaging is required during the summer. The beer-swilling rednecks were further downstream where they can just float and, you know, swill beer.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Blow off the Illinois, and go to the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Certified fun by Ridgehunter and myself.
You will never visit the Illinois after you do.

Our last two trips down the Illinois involved some drunk on a gravel bar threatening to sink us or something if we didn't give him some beer.
Its a sad example of a trip down a river that should offer some challenge and solitude, not some drunken idiots wanting to accost you.

We usually float the lower Illinois - below TenKiller dam. Far less drunks and noisy college groups, but you have to watch when they are generating power, otherwise the river is very low. That makes it hard to plan a trip around it.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't camped there, but do have a tent recommendation. Coleman Instant Tents are awesome. They're very easy to set up and tear down, are roomy inside and don't cost too much compared to other tents.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't camped there, but do have a tent recommendation. Coleman Instant Tents are awesome. They're very easy to set up and tear down, are roomy inside and don't cost too much compared to other tents.

That is very helpful... I haven't bought a tent in 20 years or more. I'll look into those. I appreciate it!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Growing up in Bartlesville, we did the Illinois twice ever....................the Buffalo for small mouth/camping 2-3 times a summer, it's worth the drive.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking into it myself and ran across this...
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/tahlequah-ok/TT3PFO80S6SN4UIQ1

I would suggest getting a tent from WalMart, we got one and used the crap out of it every weekend almost one year. The zipper ended up getting messed up at the end of camping season and we just returned it for a new one. I think it was Ozark trail brand. Don't forget smores for the kids.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking into it myself and ran across this...
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/tahlequah-ok/TT3PFO80S6SN4UIQ1

I would suggest getting a tent from WalMart, we got one and used the crap out of it every weekend almost one year. The zipper ended up getting messed up at the end of camping season and we just returned it for a new one. I think it was Ozark trail brand. Don't forget smores for the kids.

I can bet we'll end up getting the "extended warranty" for whatever we buy - usually 10% or less of purchase price and gives us full 100% refund if it mess up. We did this with my son's pool, take ti down each year and when we set it up, if it doesn't hold water, we get a new one. It's paid for itself many times over - think we've done the total replacement thing 3 or 4 times with it. Same with his Samsung tablet, twice replaced there. The wife is good about keeping up with those receipts and stuff - I'm not. lol

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked for War Eagle back in college. I grew up in Tahlequah. My wife and I go back every summer.

First off the river crests within a few days and goes back down. Unless it rains a lot the river will probably be back down to normal by then. Floating shouldn't be a problem.

We have stayed at pretty much all of them. We prefer Arrowhead and stay there when we can. The first reason is that it is close the river and a large bluff. Certain parts of the campground are shaded which keep things cool and relatively dark. We went in July last year and were very comfortable, one night it was kind of cold.

The second reason we stay there is the women's public restroom. My wife and her friend love it. The men's is not that nice and kind of nasty. I guess they know who to take care of....lol.

One thing about Arrowhead as of last year, they didn't have Wi-Fi and service out there sucks. If that is important to you...

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Latest posts

Top Bottom