Camping out on the Illinois (Tahlequah area)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightside

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please pay attention to the warnings about the river being above normal or approaching flood level. It will EAT you! I went with my wife years ago and it became very scary, very quickly. I wound up returning my rental canoe literally folded in halve, due to it wrapping around a tree in fast water after (luckily) we fell out. I don't even know if they rent aluminum canoes anymore. Hopefully you and yours are more experienced than we were.We have not returned...

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you stay in the cabins or camp on the bank?
I'd love to do the 3 day.

No cabins along there, we take everything with us in canoes and camp along the way. It's amazing how much gear you can pack into one. That stretch of river is in a 50,000 acre protected wilderness so there are no camp sites, bridges, power lines, etc. and very few vehicle access points. Almost no signs of civilization. Heavenly! The only bummer is that where the Buffalo feeds into the White River, you have to paddle upstream for about 1/2 mile or so to get to the takeout spot (Buffalo City). When the dam is generating upstream, that can be quite a workout. The scenery is awesome, with bluffs several hundred feet high. The river itself is pretty tame, suitable for beginners.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think when the levels get a certain height they will only allow rafts. And there is a certain height where the scenic rivers compassion will suspend all commercial floating.

The Illinois river is fed out of northwestern Arkansas. A common misconception people have is that the river stays up. It goes back down relatively quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom