Canning lids....here we go again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks GeneW. I found some at Yukon or store on W Reno. I live in Tuttle so Yukon is closest. One store had the wide mouth and another one had the regular size so 2 stops. I don't need any right now but waited too long last year. Going to just see if I can order and have shipped to my local store. If not, I'll find some.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never even heard of reusable canning lids! Thanks for the links. Gonna ask Mom because she's just always bought Kerr lids each year(last 50 years?).
i have some that are at least 20 years old. just use the others for gifts that you don't get the jar or lid back. the rubber rings are good for several canning cycle also. used to have the glass lids that great grandmother used also. the disposable ones are really kind of a new thing and never made much sense to me,but i was raised to be very conservative.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks GeneW. I found some at Yukon or store on W Reno. I live in Tuttle so Yukon is closest. One store had the wide mouth and another one had the regular size so 2 stops. I don't need any right now but waited too long last year. Going to just see if I can order and have shipped to my local store. If not, I'll find some.
OK good deal! I will buy some from wallymart curbside pickup, since I'm placing an order anyway. Will hold them for you for awhile if you decide you want them we'll figure out how to get them to you. What the heck, I'm retired and bored, lol.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
oddly enough, i must have hit target at just the right time. I grabbed jars, both 12 oz and 32 oz ball brand wide mouth jars, with rings and lids for less a $1 each. I think i paid $8.99 for a dozen of the 12 oz and $9.99 for the 32 oz.

at that price point; if it's cheaper to buy jars with the rings and the lids than just flats......

online they are still showing decent pricing if you can find them. i happened to see them with a red tag at my local target and decided i couldn't let them go.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have canned jams and reused the lids a few times.
I boil/simmer the lids and this softens the seal area and they are good to go.

Only thing that keeps me from reusing them for canning is if they get scratched as this will cause rust.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK good deal! I will buy some from wallymart curbside pickup, since I'm placing an order anyway. Will hold them for you for awhile if you decide you want them we'll figure out how to get them to you. What the heck, I'm retired and bored, lol.
Was able to pickup 4 boxes of wide mouth and 4 boxes of small mouth lids. I'll be more than happy to meet and buy these from you Gene - unless you're planning to use.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We stopped at Target, nothing. Tractor Supply had 4 cases of pint jar, with lid and ring. Plus 4 boxes of lid and ring. Atwoods had pint and half pint jars, plus lids.

Lawton is scarce

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i picked up a vacuum sealer at goodwill that looks basically brand new. we'll see it if functions, but it was $3.99. ordered two rolls of various bag widths on amazon prime and they got here yesterday.

i've got 4.5 lbs of jerky that i usually just put in big jars and don't bother sealing since i eat it quick. but i'm going to try the vacuum sealer. not to keen on using plastic bags, even if vacuum sealed, long term versus the xenoestrogen glass, but if it works and i can reliably get lots of storage out of it....probably isn't going to work for liquids, so anything dry i may be vacuum sealing from now on instead. there's a LOT of bags on this roll, and i can use the machine to cut the bags to fit. seems like a lot of storage; hope it works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom