Car buying and financial responsibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, question. Seems as If I have had a lot of them recent;y, however, I am just trying to make lots of good changes and get the gears moving in my life.

Here's the essentials:

I own a Car, that I brought brand new. Took the Hit on the impending depreciation (tears of sadness), ordered it from the factory, and have absolutely loved the crap out of it ever since(tears of joy). Its a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST. Lovely little turbo hatch, has definitely got me in trouble a couple of times. Paid 25k out the door with the extended 86k mile warranty on it that will outlive the life of my loan. I now owe 15-16k on it, and it is worth about 17.5 dealership trade in. It would be considered a certified preowned, considering the warranty is still effective. So extra $$$. In my most recent quest to be financially responsible, I am pushing HARD to be debt free (minus car and hopefully house later this year), preferably by the end of this year. I have about $2100 on my tool account at work, $6100 in CC debt, and I have 44 payments left on the car. With everything I have in place, debt free will happen within my goal time. However, with my car, I pay about $200 a month in insurance for the little turboed beast and $405 a month for the car note. If I refinance, it drops my payment to $353 for the next 48 months. an approximate savings of $700 over the life of the loan. Not quite what I am looking for. I really honestly need a truck, considering my hobbies and day to day needs aside from commuting and running errands within the 20 mile radius I run within 90% of the time. So fuel economy is not necessarily an issue.

So that is out of the way... here is the rest, in lengthy bullet points:

==I don't NEED my car.
==Im looking to buy a truck with the intent of having lower car note, insurance, and more utility.
==I recently came across a coworker who is selling his early 2000 model LOADED 4x4 F250 Powerstroke with 300k miles on it for 5k.
==He's an outstanding mechanic and an absolute perfectionist. The truck was his wife's daily driver. I am confident of the trucks condition, at least for now.
==If I buy the truck and sell my car and only get enough to pay off the amount owed (i should get higher) I would get a signature loan for 6k and pay the truck off in half the time with a $200 less payment.
==Which equals more money to go towards other debts, buying a house, paying off the truck faster.

Any thoughts guys? Dave Ramsey types? Experiences with 7.3l Powerstrokes? Financial thoughts? I'm trying to gather all the info and make sure I am making not only a smart choice by downsizing my transportation, but also going about paying off debt the right way and in the most efficient way possible.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Get a list of what's been replaced on the truck/engine and we can give you a better idea on truck itself. Alot will depend on that. I've seen some with mileage like that and $5k would be an absolute steal! Seen some others with 300k that I'd run away from. Diesel repairs add up fast.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, the truck would be used as a replacement for my only means of transportation, which means a lot of commuting and dragging guns and fishing poles around locally. I'm also looking at purchasing a house, and am pretty handy, so it would be used to haul building materials and remodeling waste to and from the house. On the occasion, I would be using the truck to haul a gooseneck with heavy equipment around as I may need; I work as a construction equipment mechanic and we get free rentals at our convenience :) One of the draws of having a diesel is that I am a diesel mechanic, and I am looking for something with longevity.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, question. Seems as If I have had a lot of them recent;y, however, I am just trying to make lots of good changes and get the gears moving in my life.

Here's the essentials:

I own a Car, that I brought brand new. Took the Hit on the impending depreciation (tears of sadness), ordered it from the factory, and have absolutely loved the crap out of it ever since(tears of joy). Its a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST. Lovely little turbo hatch, has definitely got me in trouble a couple of times. Paid 25k out the door with the extended 86k mile warranty on it that will outlive the life of my loan. I now owe 15-16k on it, and it is worth about 17.5 dealership trade in. It would be considered a certified preowned, considering the warranty is still effective. So extra $$$. In my most recent quest to be financially responsible, I am pushing HARD to be debt free (minus car and hopefully house later this year), preferably by the end of this year. I have about $2100 on my tool account at work, $6100 in CC debt, and I have 44 payments left on the car. With everything I have in place, debt free will happen within my goal time. However, with my car, I pay about $200 a month in insurance for the little turboed beast and $405 a month for the car note. If I refinance, it drops my payment to $353 for the next 48 months. an approximate savings of $700 over the life of the loan. Not quite what I am looking for. I really honestly need a truck, considering my hobbies and day to day needs aside from commuting and running errands within the 20 mile radius I run within 90% of the time. So fuel economy is not necessarily an issue.

So that is out of the way... here is the rest, in lengthy bullet points:

==I don't NEED my car.
==Im looking to buy a truck with the intent of having lower car note, insurance, and more utility.
==I recently came across a coworker who is selling his early 2000 model LOADED 4x4 F250 Powerstroke with 300k miles on it for 5k.
==He's an outstanding mechanic and an absolute perfectionist. The truck was his wife's daily driver. I am confident of the trucks condition, at least for now.
==If I buy the truck and sell my car and only get enough to pay off the amount owed (i should get higher) I would get a signature loan for 6k and pay the truck off in half the time with a $200 less payment.
==Which equals more money to go towards other debts, buying a house, paying off the truck faster.

Any thoughts guys? Dave Ramsey types? Experiences with 7.3l Powerstrokes? Financial thoughts? I'm trying to gather all the info and make sure I am making not only a smart choice by downsizing my transportation, but also going about paying off debt the right way and in the most efficient way possible.

1st I'll say I'm a Dave Ramsey nut, all is paid off other than home, have 6 months reserve on hand. Which is good because my wife is recently unemployed, so thank God for the emergency fund.

I'd say the truck you want to buy in on its last legs and could/would be a maintenance nightmare pretty quickly. You don't need a truck and you don't know the future of how high gas will go which could hinder your future snowball if it goes up significantly and you get chit mileage. Also have you check on the dif in insurance rates from car to truck?

I'd say pay your lowest debt first like Dave says. Hell sell something, but you already took the hickey on the new car, just finish it off. Refi doesn't sound bad, but ou should get it paid off early I and not benefit as much as your calculations.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Dennis, the truck would be used as a replacement for my only means of transportation, which means a lot of commuting and dragging guns and fishing poles around locally. I'm also looking at purchasing a house, and am pretty handy, so it would be used to haul building materials and remodeling waste to and from the house. On the occasion, I would be using the truck to haul a gooseneck with heavy equipment around as I may need; I work as a construction equipment mechanic and we get free rentals at our convenience :) One of the draws of having a diesel is that I am a diesel mechanic, and I am looking for something with longevity.

Forget my previous post, lol, preaching to the choir lol!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a list of what's been replaced on the truck/engine and we can give you a better idea on truck itself. Alot will depend on that. I've seen some with mileage like that and $5k would be an absolute steal! Seen some others with 300k that I'd run away from. Diesel repairs add up fast.

I am hoping to talk to the guy tomorrow, what I have heard is what he has told a few guys at work, so tomorrow I hope to see some pictures and descriptions. I do know that the power steering gearbox is bad, and he has the parts that will be coming with the purchase price. I have the shop space and tools to get it done.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well you being a diesel mechanic has me questioning my advise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom