Car buying and financial responsibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. I wasnt speaking to you. If I posted a response in this thread then it was to the OP, not to you. If it was your thread then I suppose I would have been speaking directly to you, but I wasnt. Thus no need for a quote. Have a problem with that? Then take it up with yourself...
Of course I read the original post...a week ago. Sorry if I forgot a detail.
I also mentioned a truck for sale in my post so I thought u were talking about that. Don't get all worked up dude!
See how I quoted you so there is 0 confusion about whom I'm talking to? Just sayin.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seen your car in the classifieds. Good decision I say!

Thank you sir! I actually just edited the listing and am trying to sell for what I owe on it. I went to the credit union and was approved for a loan on a real winner of a truck at a sweetheart of a deal. If you know of anyone who may be in the market, don't be shy about pointing them my way.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you sir! I actually just edited the listing and am trying to sell for what I owe on it. I went to the credit union and was approved for a loan on a real winner of a truck at a sweetheart of a deal. If you know of anyone who may be in the market, don't be shy about pointing them my way.

Did you put it on Craigslist or Autotrader? If you are looking for payoff, depending on a myriad of factors, it may be worth a trip to a few dealers to see what they would buy it for? I'd suggest a Ford dealer but they may not do straight buys unless heavily in their favor. Carmax will give you a quick quote but may not be what you need.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you put it on Craigslist or Autotrader? If you are looking for payoff, depending on a myriad of factors, it may be worth a trip to a few dealers to see what they would buy it for? I'd suggest a Ford dealer but they may not do straight buys unless heavily in their favor. Carmax will give you a quick quote but may not be what you need.
I don't want to pay to list it, so autotrader is out of the question for now. It is on Craigslist, no hits yet. I went by a ford dealership only to be told they most likely wouldn't. I have an appointment with carmax today, I owe less than what the car is worth retail and trade in, so if I can just get trade in value I would be happy.

I'm way behind on this thread, and intend on catching up later this evening on it. Managed to catch a razor blade in the eye yesterday at work, so I have the forest Whittaker face going on at the moment. It's been a hectic few days.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its worth more than you owe, then you should be asking what its worth. Then if you have a few thousand left over, go pay cash for an older civic or something temporarily until you get the rest of your debt paid. Dont get out of this payment only to get another one. That defeats the purpose unless you have no other choice.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its worth more than you owe, then you should be asking what its worth. Then if you have a few thousand left over, go pay cash for an older civic or something temporarily until you get the rest of your debt paid. Dont get out of this payment only to get another one. That defeats the purpose unless you have no other choice.
I understand what you are saying, however, not only am I getting a screaming deal on a truck, but it is all within the plan. I'm looking at a 2004 Cummins, with an immaculate carmax and extensive dealership Maintinence record, being sold by someone I trust. I'm hoping to talk him down to 10k, which would be reasonable considering his prior asking price. The truck fits what I need/want perfectly, and I have already been qualified for the loan. Purchasing that truck would take my payments down from 400+/mo to $230/mo for 48mos, and should drop my insurance. Keep in mind the truck is valued NADA at 19k, and the $230 a month is assuming I do not make a down payment on my loan.... My credit union doesn't require one, which I find odd. It's too good of a deal to pass up. And with the extra money I would have each month, I can use it to pay down higher interest debts first, and once everything is paid off, I should be able to easily make triple payments on the truck and still be within my budget, making the truck note effectively disappear in a very expedient manner.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The truck fits what I need/want perfectly, and I have already been qualified for the loan.
There are no "wants" allowed when your struggling to get debt free. I can see your mind is made up but IMO, its a stupid mistake. And dont take that personal, we have all done stupid. I just never had the advise to avoid it, you do.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with CHenry. You have to get out of the "wants" mindset. I've been debt free for 5 years, with a paid for home. When your debt free, you can stack it up fast, sleep very well and the amount of day to day stress goes way down. If you haven't read The Richest Man in Babylon, you should.

Latest posts

Top Bottom