Car buying and financial responsibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well you being a diesel mechanic has me questioning my advise.

Questioning or not, I appreciate it. I have looked up insurance rates, and they are about $50-100 cheaper than what I am presently paying. Another perk.Gas prices dont bother me, as 40% of my work is sources from how busy the oilfield is. Higher oil prices=more overtime. Also, unless I am going to the range or visiting my old man in east ok county, I don't leave my 20 mile bubble around my house. Aside from rare trips for other things. So fuel efficiency is not a concern at the moment. When it may become a concern, the truck should be payed off and I can look into purchasing a car again (Ford Fiesta RS perhaps??).

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a second income for a bit and really dive into your budget.
Second income is coming I hope, as I filed with the VA regarding my disability claim for compensation a few weeks ago. Turn around time right now is 6 months. A big issue with a second income is that I already work 50-60 hour weeks, and we aren't even really busy yet.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Second income is coming I hope, as I filed with the VA regarding my disability claim for compensation a few weeks ago. Turn around time right now is 6 months. A big issue with a second income is that I already work 50-60 hour weeks, and we aren't even really busy yet.

Make sure not to squander that disability, use it like a second income. Check comes in, it all goes out in the snowball.

Married, kids? How nutty you can go in Dave's plan really depends on your surroundings.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You pay $200/month for insurance? Are you 17 years old with 2 DUI's? I'd start there just shopping around.

I'd probably refinance the car through a credit union all the way out to 100% and take all your equity and pay off the credit card and any other debt you can. Take the term out to 60 months so the payment stays around the same. You can always pay it off early, but the credit card is likely much higher interest.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd exercise caution if that will be your only means of transportation. Sure, you may be able to fix it when it breaks but how are you getting to work when it goes down? Reliability has a value all its own. Your insurance sounds outrageous so I'd look around on that to save some cash.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would work hard to pay off that credit card debt and then worry about the rest.
Make sure not to squander that disability, use it like a second income. Check comes in, it all goes out in the snowball.

Married, kids? How nutty you can go in Dave's plan really depends on your surroundings.

Not married anymore, no kids. What would you suggest using the disability income for? My intention is to continue to live within my means, and using that income to put it towards paying off a future car and house in the future in an expedient manner, and possibly using it to supplement my income as I am considering maxing out my 401k contributions through work to reduce my taxable income.

You pay $200/month for insurance? Are you 17 years old with 2 DUI's? I'd start there just shopping around.

I'd probably refinance the car through a credit union all the way out to 100% and take all your equity and pay off the credit card and any other debt you can. Take the term out to 60 months so the payment stays around the same. You can always pay it off early, but the credit card is likely much higher interest.

I am actually 27, no accidents, with one minor moving violation in the past 5 years.
I haven't considered a credit union, I'll have to look into that. However, with extending the loan out, wouldn't that normally increase how much I am paying for it, considering the interest? I am trying to avoid that.

I'd exercise caution if that will be your only means of transportation. Sure, you may be able to fix it when it breaks but how are you getting to work when it goes down? Reliability has a value all its own. Your insurance sounds outrageous so I'd look around on that to save some cash.

Noted... Worst case scenario, at the moment I am living two miles from work, and the place I am looking at is 7 miles away. My work is pretty lenient about letting us borrow a shop truck if we have car problems. I could always hitch a ride with a coworker or ride a bicycle if needed. Not the ideal situation, but if worse came to worse....

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, regarding insurance prices, I have pretty basic insurance, 25/50/25, and this is my price through progressive. I was previously using USAA, and it was about 20 bucks cheaper a month. We had a bit of an issue and I parted ways for the time being with them, I plan on going back when my progressive policy is up. I'm gonna be doing more shopping with my insurance, but I don't know how much better it would get, considering 99% of people I know say USAA is the cheapest route for car insurance.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd use the disability to push into snow ball at what ever was the lowest bill and pay each off in order. Have you read Dave's book or taken his class? It's worth the $10 to get you fired up and a set plan. I never took the Class, the book was enough to get me going.

Man, without kids and a wife you could flip your financial future this year. Awesome.

Buy the book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom