The turnpike system and the money grabbers In the state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I avoid tolls if at all possible, but living near OKC that's a lot easier. Tulsa has maximized the effectiveness of tolls. In OKC you can go around every single one easily. I rarely take a toll road GOING somewhere like Chickasha, Lawton, B.A., but I'm usually outvoted on the trip home for the sake of expedience. I have family in B.A. that uses 4 or more tolls 6 or more days a week.
And I know it's conspiracy talk but it seems like every GPS we have is in cahoots with Pikepass. If you view the route going anywhere from Mustang, it wants you to take the toll road from S.15th to I40. That's half a mile. It's less than 45 seconds. But every single time, I have to override it.
View attachment 398875
Good point. I don't think there is a way out of Tulsa that isn't a toll road.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Turnpike was built as a means to tax people using the roads. ...Even though we already pay for Oklahome roads (ODOT) via taxes.
So in some way - Oklahoma people are being double-taxed for usage.

My recommendation...
I would a lot less resistive to the Turnpike if it were *FREE* for Oklahoma taxpayer citizens, and a "turnpike" for out-of-state plates.

Or.....
Fix (increase) the ODOT budget, and disband the Turnpike.

To me, the Turnpike screams a 'FOR-PROFIT' organization that is not in Oklahoma benefit.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ill never understand why most turnpike users don’t understand the vast majority don’t use the turnpike system on a regular basis.

I haven’t used the turner or Will Rogers (Claremore to Creek only) in years. The Creek was handy to cut across town, now how many tolls does one pay to go that 33 miles? That’s local traffic paying those tolls for the most part, trucks shoot up I44

I typically use highway 75 for Texas or Kansas. Hitting OKC at rush hour a pain.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spend quite a bit of money every year on tolls, and the only turnpike I use is Indian Nations. I could avoid it and may start when the construction on I35 is finished. :anyone:
All my vehicles have pike passes. We’re moving our daughter to Norman next week, and she already has a pike pass.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lightning McQueen is a huge proponent of Route 66
cars-route-66-mcqueen.jpg

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the state get fed $$ for I-44 being an interstate? Just wondering if we're getting triple taxed.
Just another tax to line the politicos pockets, fug em. I'll drive as little as possible on them.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toll roads provide faster and more direct travel with no stops between on ramps and exits.

4 - 6 lanes, wide shoulders, higher speed limits
Traffic flows more efficiently.

Except the Chickasaw turnpike between Ada and davis

A 2 lane turnpike just stupid.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always turn off "Toll Roads" on my GPS. I don't mind spending an extra bit of time on the road, you see more cool things that way, and I am vehemently against paying for a road when my tax dollars already go to other roads.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a common notion I have heard over the years, but is far from true. On the west side you can take US75 north or south. US169 goes north on the east side. 412 goes east and west, but you will eventually hit a toll, however you can go a long way before them. And of course Route 66 parallels the Turner and WR and get you to the same places just a little slower, but much more enjoyable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom