Car shopping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good info. Yeah looking for probably a 2016 suburban, Escalade esv or expedition el. We like 3 rows of seats and storage space behind 3rd row. Ran to look at two a dealer had listed online and couldn't find em when I got there. A salesman caught me before I could sneak back off the lot and said the 2 vehicles I'd been looking for had been gone for a while. Yes, I could've called first but I like the element of surprise when dealing with sneaky folks. This way I learned the dealer baits folks with vehicles they don't have. Lol. I enjoy the hunt anyhow. It's the rest of it that ain't fun. Thanks for yalls input. I thought maybe I could do business with someone here.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, if I was looking and it were an Escalade I'd find what I wanted online and head down to Dallas or OKC. The relative pricing here is pretty high from recent experience, on all higher end SUVs anyways. I had to go outside of Tulsa to find what I wanted in my F150 too. Just food for thought.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why get rid of it before 100K?

Nowadays you can get well over 200K miles without too many problems from most vehicles.

I know some people like a new ride every few years but I'm tight (and poor) and tend to wring every mile I can get out of mine. :)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know some people like a new ride every few years but I'm tight (and poor) and tend to wring every mile I can get out of mine
Truer words were never spoken, a new car has payments usually and they may pass you on the road but you end up at the stop light regardless beside the high dollar new car and they are making payments and you aren't.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Nowadays you can get well over 200K miles without too many problems from most vehicles.

I know some people like a new ride every few years but I'm tight (and poor) and tend to wring every mile I can get out of mine. :)
They depreciate quite a bit at 100k.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

Yep, and a new one depreciates faster than you can make payments on it. The wife and are debt free. Her 04 has 168k on it. My 06 has 154k on it and we don't plan on getting rid of them anytime soon. I put an alternator on mine that was $200 but much cheaper than a $600 payment.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the car sales of the major rental car companies - they’ve switched to selling cars out of their fleet direct to the consumer as opposed to selling through auctions. You can find some great deals there, most still under factory warranty and the rental company has eaten the first year or two of depreciation.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife drives too much. It's that simple. She will easily put 25 or 30k miles on one a year. I been trying to get her to drive the ol beater truck some but it ain't workin. I don't understand why she won't leave the caddy parked and drive the 84 Ford. Hell the a/c will freeze you outta the Ford. We used to be a one vehicle family and she had 100k on the 10 Dodge Cummins in the first four years but it doesn't depreciate as bad. Matter of fact truck prices soared a couple years after I bought it and I would almost say it appreciated in value. Anyhow, bought her this fancy vehicle and I'm sure it's getting close to needing shock/struts etc. and that crap is high on these things.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife drives too much. It's that simple. She will easily put 25 or 30k miles on one a year. I been trying to get her to drive the ol beater truck some but it ain't workin. I don't understand why she won't leave the caddy parked and drive the 84 Ford. Hell the a/c will freeze you outta the Ford. We used to be a one vehicle family and she had 100k on the 10 Dodge Cummins in the first four years but it doesn't depreciate as bad. Matter of fact truck prices soared a couple years after I bought it and I would almost say it appreciated in value. Anyhow, bought her this fancy vehicle and I'm sure it's getting close to needing shock/struts etc. and that crap is high on these things.

I don't care either way but is there a need for a Escalade? Kids or something? Lotsa midsized SUVs for cheaper that get pretty good MPG.

Latest posts

Top Bottom