Car shopping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
eBay. Some dealerships list their cars on there and it cuts out the haggle. I bought my car on eBay from Joe Cooper brand new and walked in with the cashier check for that amt and out with the keys in about 20 mins. They tried tacking on extra fees for this and that but eBay price is a contract that specifically says FINAL. So they backed off and it was all done.
As far as selling your car.. good luck trying to have a dealership give you a fair deal. They’re buying a used car with 100k and have to sell it to someone else not knowing anything about it, they’re taking a risk that it’s not bubble gummed together and still need to make a profit so they’ll gouge you. If it’s regularly maintained, sell it online or take it to CarMax for a no haggle price.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't care either way but is there a need for a Escalade? Kids or something? Lotsa midsized SUVs for cheaper that get pretty good MPG.

I can't speak for Cowcatcher, but my wife and I have a Ford Expedition. Certainly not a midsized, but it can haul what we want to haul, and if that "cargo" is people, they can be "hauled" comfortably. Take three people for instance with luggage for a two week trip, and space gets used up fairly fast.

Our Expedition has two captain's chair in the front and middle rows and then a third bench seat, giving us passenger space for 7 people, which 4 is not unheard of in our experiences.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for Cowcatcher, but my wife and I have a Ford Expedition. Certainly not a midsized, but it can haul what we want to haul, and if that "cargo" is people, they can be "hauled" comfortably. Take three people for instance with luggage for a two week trip, and space gets used up fairly fast.

Our Expedition has two captain's chair in the front and middle rows and then a third bench seat, giving us passenger space for 7 people, which 4 is not unheard of in our experiences.

I wasn't questioning them in general, I was asking if he had a specific need because it kind of sounded like it was just his wife. We have an honest need for a 3rd row now but there's no way I'd have a SUV that big if I didn't. Point was that SUVs are ridiculous right now, Escalades and Navigators are hitting 100K.... personally I'd get a Toyota Sequoia, Landcruiser or Lexus and drive it 300K+ miles but that's just me. Then again, Escalades should be able to do 250K just fine on hwy miles.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care either way but is there a need for a Escalade? Kids or something? Lotsa midsized SUVs for cheaper that get pretty good MPG.
Yeah JD, we have 3 daughters age 3, 9 and 12. They have friends goin with us quite often too.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then I definitely get it..... I'll shut up.
Lol. It's all my wife's fault! We've been looking at vehicles all day. I think we may just get the caddy a real good inspection and repair anything that looks like its getting worn and drive it for another couple years. I know it needs $1500 worth of alignment and front struts. There was a time when I had to drive vehicles that needed help to make it as far as the mailbox. Nowadays I just dread getting broke down on the side of the road.
We did get really close to buying a new 18 surburban but I just couldn't get my mind wrapped around it being worth 37k more froghides than the Escalade we have.
They had a very loaded 17 demo with 3500 miles discounted 20k below the 67k sticker but still the money difference didn't excite me. We just had to go see it with our own eyes. Plus, the new ones have smaller engines(5.3L) and the mpg they claim is less than what I know our current vehicle gets with a 6.2L.
So, like several had mentioned above, I think we will just stick with this one. I'm very bad to become an impulse buyer at any moment.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a time when I had to drive vehicles that needed help to make it as far as the mailbox. Nowadays I just dread getting broke down on the side of the road.
Welcome to my world, I think that comes with age. :D

In my early-mid twenties (working as a mechanic), I loved to come home and tinker with our vehicles.

In my early-mid thirties, I loved tinkering with our computers, tweaking and upgrading as we could afford it.

Nowadays, I just want both of 'em to start up and go when I hit the switch... :drunk2:

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea on holding off for awhile.100% gas is getting close to 3 dollars a gallon.If oil continues going up it could get close to 4 dollars a gallon a year from now.The big escalades and other vehicles that get poor to average mileage will come down if it does.A few years ago when that happened a friend of mine was looking at a new Tundra for around $45,000 when gas was 3 dollars a gallon.Less than a year later when gas got close to 4 dollars a gallon he got a new year model for $32,000.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the car sales of the major rental car companies - they’ve switched to selling cars out of their fleet direct to the consumer as opposed to selling through auctions. You can find some great deals there, most still under factory warranty and the rental company has eaten the first year or two of depreciation.

Every one of those rental car companies have gone anti-NRA in recent months due to pressure following the school shooting in FL. I've bought vehicles through Enterprise at least 5 times over the years. I've determined not to buy through them in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom