Career advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your service, truly. What about NG or Reserves part time for some extra spending $ and working towards the pension program?

I presume you have the GI bill for education? What about sales? You probably have a strong mindset of determination, problem solving and hustle if you’ve been in at that level in the mil.

I do corporate sales, but in the industrial world. Tons of fun, some ‘professional’ times, but mostly good natured fun and selling. Get to see lot’s of cool things, including .mil stuff, that most normal people will never see. It always changes from day to day and never gets boring. It does take some coaching, polishing and hard work at times, but most of the customers I work with are good, ol’ boys.

Ask away if you have any questions or concerns.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off a sincere thank you for your service. Secondly I would suggest a trade. If your under a certain age (32 I think) air traffic control is a fast turn around education that pays extreamly well from what I have heard. Other than that solar and wind energy schools are where I would want to be if I could start over at this point. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
Not likely to stay in Oklahoma as air traffic controler

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No advice, it doesn't look like OHP is EVER gonna have another academy. If they do you'd be a shoe-in because they only have 10 dog-handlers and 8 of them are one bad day away from retirement.

I know someone who got out at early and has kicked himself every day since then. I met him when he had 10 on with OHP. For the next 10 years I heard "If I'd stayed in USAF I could be retired now." Now I hear "If I'd stayed in I wouldn't have to be paying for health insurance and I could use the commissary." Lol ... so it's something to consider.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oilfield is the easiest and quickest way to good money in Oklahoma. Just be smart and save when its good and you will be alright. after that trade jobs like hvac, plumbing, welding, etc...can lead to great income.

Warren Buffet recommends pursuing a career in what you love, might be a good opportunity to soul search a bit...my next career switch I plan to do just this and open a strip club. love me some strippers.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in your shoes in 1985 and I went to work at the USPS and WOW! Bad management all over the joint! So I transferred to the VA Hospital and retired. I wouldn't take nay job that didn't have some sort of retirement. If I had it to do over, I'd have gotten a 2 year RN degree and went to work as an RN making more money with a better retirement. As an RN you can work up to the age of senility and they are paying an RN big bucks in Alaska if you like to hunt or fish.

myappliancestore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okc fire department will be tacking applications after the first of the year. Great benefits and schedule. Paid training you can pm me if you would like more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom