Career change… IT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the program. So you've got the training stuff handled on home inspections but need the tools of the trade? Is there more required than I'd think? The inspectors I've used didn't seem to pack much more than basic stuff - ladders, lights few hand tools etc.

The marketing side of that business always seemed a little dicey. From what I see most of the referrals come from realtors. So, I always felt the inspector wasn't incentivized to do a super thorough job. I mean, if an inspector blows up very many of their deals, ie commissions, I'm betting the referrals go away. But I'm a pessimist sometimes.

Google has some interesting courses in IT that are cheap. I read an article somewhere that said a lot of companies look favorably on them and are starting to accept them in place of degrees for entry level stuff.
More or less it starts with an assessment. The VA determines what you can do, and what they want you to do. Submit business plan, pro forma, basic business classes and reading from the SBA and IRS. You get approved, you go through training. Once you’re done with training, you submit tool lists and what you need to get started, they order tools and you get to start working. I’ve had my business plan, pro forma, and tool list submitted since 12/2020. 2/2021 I went out on my own and was licensed by the FAA to be a commercial drone pilot and bought my drone, since the VA refused to approve anything of the sort, in spite of me pitching it as accommodation for my disabilities. I was then certified both through the professional organization and through the state of Oklahoma as a residential home inspector since 5/2021. I resubmitted my tool list 2 days after taking my test and my reimbursement for those tests/licenses 48 hours later. A week later I formed my LLC. 16 months later, I still have nothing, with no end in sight. The marketing, as well as balancing relationships between customers and realtors is definitely a tricky one, but I figure I would get it all taken care of.

Tools can be pretty simple, but also include IR cameras, moisture probes, digital levels, electrical testers, and a sewer camera. About $25k worth.
Here’s a new opinion. Consider starting a business. Any business. You have a broad range of skills it sounds like. All of that will transfer. What do you really want in life?
I did start a business. I’m waiting on tools from the VA. I’ve considered other options, but run into issues.

Stump grinding business: no licensing needed, lots of work, good money to be made. Problem is the equipment is expensive, it’s a luxury (makes for a much harder sell when people are getting screwed by the economy), and the equipment takes up a good amount of space.

Cerakoting business: slim margins to start out, it’s a luxury item (but gun guys/car guys can be pretty dumb with money), lots of competition, expensive startup, I need an FFL. Space for a workshop is nonexistent, and building rent is expensive.

Pour in place rubber flooring: can be a luxury, could market to .gov which is good. Franchises require huge buy ins, minimal equipment needed, I don’t know what I’m doing, I would need a small crew to get jobs done.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More or less it starts with an assessment. The VA determines what you can do, and what they want you to do. Submit business plan, pro forma, basic business classes and reading from the SBA and IRS. You get approved, you go through training. Once you’re done with training, you submit tool lists and what you need to get started, they order tools and you get to start working. I’ve had my business plan, pro forma, and tool list submitted since 12/2020. 2/2021 I went out on my own and was licensed by the FAA to be a commercial drone pilot and bought my drone, since the VA refused to approve anything of the sort, in spite of me pitching it as accommodation for my disabilities. I was then certified both through the professional organization and through the state of Oklahoma as a residential home inspector since 5/2021. I resubmitted my tool list 2 days after taking my test and my reimbursement for those tests/licenses 48 hours later. A week later I formed my LLC. 16 months later, I still have nothing, with no end in sight. The marketing, as well as balancing relationships between customers and realtors is definitely a tricky one, but I figure I would get it all taken care of.

Tools can be pretty simple, but also include IR cameras, moisture probes, digital levels, electrical testers, and a sewer camera. About $25k worth.

I did start a business. I’m waiting on tools from the VA. I’ve considered other options, but run into issues.

Stump grinding business: no licensing needed, lots of work, good money to be made. Problem is the equipment is expensive, it’s a luxury (makes for a much harder sell when people are getting screwed by the economy), and the equipment takes up a good amount of space.

Cerakoting business: slim margins to start out, it’s a luxury item (but gun guys/car guys can be pretty dumb with money), lots of competition, expensive startup, I need an FFL. Space for a workshop is nonexistent, and building rent is expensive.

Pour in place rubber flooring: can be a luxury, could market to .gov which is good. Franchises require huge buy ins, minimal equipment needed, I don’t know what I’m doing, I would need a small crew to get jobs done.
Sounds like the VA has a racket going - they sell the 'benefit' but when you try to collect on it, they starve you out with red tape. Can't say I'm terribly shocked. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll figure out a path..

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I started my CompTIA A+ training this week. I’m halfway through core 1. Setup my test for September 6th. Should be able to finish this week and then spend the next few days leading up to the test studying and solidifying what I’ve learned. Hopefully I’ll have core 2 done before the end of the month, and then work on powering through my Sec+ And Net+.

Took a basic IBM cybersecurity foundation 6 hour course, got my little “badge” for completing it. I think more than anything it was just an introduction to the industry, and I enjoyed it. Seems like a really cool job that I would enjoy doing, so that was exciting. It’s all way different than what I’ve ever done, and the entire concept is odd to me, as I’ve never worked in an office before. But it seems like a good direction to be heading.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the VA has a racket going - they sell the 'benefit' but when you try to collect on it, they starve you out with red tape. Can't say I'm terribly shocked. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll figure out a path..
I think you summed it up. I’ve spent about $2000 for VA approved certs/tests/memberships and such since I began, under the promise/pre approval that they would reimburse me. I’ve been reimbursed for about half of it. It took 11 months, a call to the OKDAV office, a set of letters to my congresswoman, and 4 sets of paperwork for my reimbursement to hit and for someone to tell me their actually gonna order my stuff “eventually”.

My free “healthcare” is about the same. I’m fighting mercy on them sending an ER bill to collections because the VA won’t send them a check. I’ve also been begging and pleading trying to get a CPAP machine and a new mental health therapist. I’ve been waiting 17 months on the CPAP (I’ve had two positive, conclusive sleep studies, they’re scheduling me for yet another), and 4 months on a shrink. Oh and 2 months on the three voicemails I’ve lefts with a patient advocate that was supposed to call me back within 48 hours.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Run free m the home inspection industry. Most corrupt business I’ve ever been associated with.

As for IT it’s all about what you know.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I started my CompTIA A+ training this week. I’m halfway through core 1. Setup my test for September 6th. Should be able to finish this week and then spend the next few days leading up to the test studying and solidifying what I’ve learned. Hopefully I’ll have core 2 done before the end of the month, and then work on powering through my Sec+ And Net+.

Took a basic IBM cybersecurity foundation 6 hour course, got my little “badge” for completing it. I think more than anything it was just an introduction to the industry, and I enjoyed it. Seems like a really cool job that I would enjoy doing, so that was exciting. It’s all way different than what I’ve ever done, and the entire concept is odd to me, as I’ve never worked in an office before. But it seems like a good direction to be heading.
Try study materials for the CISSP exam. The cert is more for managerial IT pros, but it'll introduce you to a lot of the fundamentals of cybersecurity. As some describe the Powder River, it's about a mile wide and an inch deep, but you'll at least become familiar with some of the terminology.

Also, take a look at SANS ( https://www.sans.edu/ ); cybersecurity education is what they do. They have a daily podcast from the SANS Internet Storm Center (Daily StormCast) that reports cybersecurity news in about 5-6 minutes.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try study materials for the CISSP exam. The cert is more for managerial IT pros, but it'll introduce you to a lot of the fundamentals of cybersecurity. As some describe the Powder River, it's about a mile wide and an inch deep, but you'll at least become familiar with some of the terminology.

Also, take a look at SANS ( https://www.sans.edu/ ); cybersecurity education is what they do. They have a daily podcast from the SANS Internet Storm Center (Daily StormCast) that reports cybersecurity news in about 5-6 minutes.
You need 5 years of experience in infosec to take the CISSP exam. I'd say Sec+ or maybe CEH materials would be more applicable to anything a newcomer will be touching any time soon.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing... If you're a vet looking into IT, if you have at least one day of GI bill left, you can use the Vet Tec program to take some certification bootcamps. 2-ish week courses that cover everything you need to pass a cert exam, usually a few cert exams. It's free, you just have to get an IT job within a few months of completing your courses. Just another resource.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need 5 years of experience in infosec to take the CISSP exam. I'd say Sec+ or maybe CEH materials would be more applicable to anything a newcomer will be touching any time soon.
I'm not suggesting sitting for the exam, I'm just suggesting studying the materials to get familiar with the terminology and concepts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom