Carry at Fairgrounds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6503&highlight=fairgrounds

Unfortunately, there is a lot of confusion.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69745

Title 21 Section 1277 said:
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;

6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and

7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:

3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section; and

4. Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided, nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not confused. I carry at the fair but I see the other side of the issue too. As far as I know, there has never been a definative ruling that carry in the buildings on the fairgrounds, during the fair, is illegal...nor have I heard of a single law abiding citizen being arrested for doing so.

I'm not conducting business with any form of local, state, or federal government when I walk into the travel and transportation building to look at the new cars...so therefore I'm not waiting for the AG's decision before I arm myself.

But we all have to measure our own risk and act accordingly.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we talked about this in my class. i was told there is a sign that says "no firearms allowed" but technically there is a grey area where some say we can carry. i dont think i want to be the one to test it out.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The fairgrounds are legal. Period. They are explicitly mentioned as not restricted. The fair buildings are not prohibited by the "to do business with the public" clause, as the government (any of them) do not do business directly with the public in those buildings. Those buildings are leased (rented) from the government to allow private business to be done with the public. Wherever it is you go to rent table space from the government, that would be doing business with the government. The fairgrounds are fair game. I don't see any confusion there.

The stadium may be off limits due to the professional sporting / parimutuel wagering clauses though, but I have never been in there anyways.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fairgrounds are legal. Period. They are explicitly mentioned as not restricted. The fair buildings are not prohibited by the "to do business with the public" clause, as the government (any of them) do not do business directly with the public in those buildings. Those buildings are leased (rented) from the government to allow private business to be done with the public. Wherever it is you go to rent table space from the government, that would be doing business with the government. The fairgrounds are fair game. I don't see any confusion there.

The stadium may be off limits due to the professional sporting / parimutuel wagering clauses though, but I have never been in there anyways.

I'm with Nikat on this. The fairgrounds are not prohibited, and .gov business is not done with the public. Period.

Subsection A is not met at the fairgrounds other than maybe the stadium so Subsection B is the law.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about Disney on Ice at the Fairgrounds? I know my reading of this but would like other opinions as well.

Disney on Ice? Not illegal.

A pro rodeo in the same building? Illegal.

A concert in the same building? Not illegal.

An amateur soccer contest in the same building? Not illegal.

A professional arena football game in the same building? Illegal.

A gun show in the same building? Not illegal.

Ask me some more!! :)

Bryan

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shouldn't it be legal and illegal? :D

No, it can only be illegal or not. It can't be both. :)

I was answering the implied question, "Is it illegal?" The correct way to answer that question is, "It is not illegal."

Of course maybe the implied question was, "Is it legal?" in which case I should have answered "Legal" and "Not legal."

Bryan

Latest posts

Top Bottom