carry at work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am curently waiting on my ccw permit, and have been thinking about where i work. I work at a mall for a company that does not permit firearm carry, (they even say in your car, old training videos). When i close, (every day i work) there are always many strange people standing outside and near my car/bike. If i were to carry and keep my jframe hidden in my pocket, what punishments could i get other than the possability of getting fired? This is a temporary job for 6 more months until i graduate. I would ask permission, but if the answer is no, i don't wan't them to know or be suspictious.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer (standard disclaimer).

My understanding is that it's company policy, not law. The most they could do is fire you.

Of course, the "even in the car" thing is not legal; but as you mentioned, it's an old policy that needs updated.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read the story of the theater manager on this forum and decide. Pretty easy decision. It's much harder, of course, when it's your career and you've got a pretty sweeet job, and losing it would be rather devestating to those who depend on you.

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
My theory is its conceled, don't discuss it with anyone, no coworkers, or friends. Someones well intended policy, protecting them not you from litigation, isn't worth my life.

IMHO, Companies today are more concerned about liabilities and litigation more than they are about their associates safety, I don't care how they word it or try to sell it and make it sound like a good idea. Its proven everyday that BG's only read good enough to know a green light when they see a gun free zone.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on where you worked, I worked at the Bartlesville mall a few years back............make sure the gun is secured and there is no chance (zero) of it coming out or even partially being exposed. If you print and one of the customers or other employees turn you in, you will be fired. Don't be surprised if they end up calling the mall security and bartlesville PD even if you are legal to carry it. I think all the entrances might have the "no gun" signs up and there are arguments both ways on if that's a non-verbal warning and counts as the one warning they give you before you're trespassing and can have the cops on you. Best case, you get fired. Worst case, you're trespassing and they can make the non-verbal warning thing stick and then what.......

Now that being said, the one entrance to the store I was at had no "no gun" sign on it and it was the service door so it was the only door we were allowed to use. I figured worst case I could play dumb and say "oh the door you make the employees use doesn't have a sign so I didn't know" getting me out of the trespassing thing, but I would still lose my job since the store had a no weapons policy (including knives of any sort). I carried a S&W 60 in a pocket holster with nothing else in the pocket. I never touched the pocket or went anywhere near it. I didn't want any accidents of any shape (reaching in to get keys or something and showing the butt of the pistol, etc).

Since it's the Bartlesville mall, the people hanging out in the parking lot are 98% middle school age kids. All the cool kids that are older and that can drive hang out at sonic or wal-mart. If they are hanging around your cars, either get your store manager or HR person to call down to the security office and jump their butts about not securing the employee parking better. I know my store did that repeatedly until they eventually started sending the security down there every 10-15 minutes.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My work has a VERY strict no firearms on company property policy. They even consider company vehicle and/or in the trunk of your car, in the parking lot, breaking the policy. However the purpose of CONCEALED CARRY is just that, nobody should ever know you have it, otherwise your not doing your job (pertaining to the license) correctly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom