Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The vast majority of civilian, non-gang related shootings are against one person at almost point blank range. Usually within 10 feet if I remember correctly. Getting your firearm out of the holster, on target and the first two rounds in the kill zone are what matters most. Practice, practice, practice is what I tell new shooters. You can carry any weapon you want but unless you are spraying & praying you will probably not need more than 6 rounds to end the fight. I do carry extra ammo just in case but I doubt I will need it.
I don't necessarily disagree with the averages. On the other hand handguns of most any caliber don't always work as advertised in terms of stopping someone...especially very determined adversaries and those on certain drugs.

Here's a perfect example (though I'll concede it's not really the norm, it does happen):

https://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-mom-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/story?id=18164812
That lady's lucky the intruder didn't wish to continue to attempt to harm her or her children. I bet she wished she had more ammo than the 5 shots in her revolver.

It's cliche but probably true as well: People who've been in gunfights don't complain they brought too much ammo.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another way to look at it... The odds that most law-abiding citizens will ever be in a gunfight are probably statistically insignificant. Yet many of us carry guns anyway because s**t happens. That's what I'm saying with cautioning against the attitude of "if you need more than 2 or 3 rounds (or whatever's in your revolver) you need to practice more". Even though the odds are you'll only fire 2 or 3 rounds, you fully load your revolver because you may need that many...because s**t happens. And s**t doesn't care about averages.

That's akin to saying a .45 will stop anything with one shot. Or a .22 will just piss 'em off.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After being shot in the lungs, liver and stomach, I seriously doubt he could have continued. Probably took everything he had to drag himself to his car. I do admit she should have had a reload with her but the revolver did just fine.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another way to look at it... The odds that most law-abiding citizens will ever be in a gunfight are probably statistically insignificant. Yet many of us carry guns anyway because s**t happens. That's what I'm saying with cautioning against the attitude of "if you need more than 2 or 3 rounds (or whatever's in your revolver) you need to practice more". Even though the odds are you'll only fire 2 or 3 rounds, you fully load your revolver because you may need that many...because s**t happens. And s**t doesn't care about averages.

That's akin to saying a .45 will stop anything with one shot. Or a .22 will just piss 'em off.
Sorry but I would still rather see people practice more and learn to shoot that just start spraying bullets like a gangbanger. I do carry reloads no matter what I am carrying. Does not matter if a revolver, my 380, 1911 or double stack 9, but I plan to do my best to end it with 2 shots if I can. And yes I REALLY wish I could practice more because I am not a great shot. I have found out that I am steady under fire and do not get the shakes until it is all over but he only had a knife.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're the only one who mentioned "spraying like a gangbanger". No one has suggested that's a viable tactic here.

Mindset is a terribly hard thing to change...
Sorry but I have seen it even at the range. Put as much lead down range in as short a time as possible and hope at least one is in the kill zone. Like I said, carry what you want but practice and hope you never need more than 2.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry but I would still rather see people practice more and learn to shoot that just start spraying bullets like a gangbanger. I do carry reloads no matter what I am carrying. Does not matter if a revolver, my 380, 1911 or double stack 9, but I plan to do my best to end it with 2 shots if I can. And yes I REALLY wish I could practice more because I am not a great shot. I have found out that I am steady under fire and do not get the shakes until it is all over but he only had a knife.

You keep saying spray and pray but that's YOUR mentality and mindset and I'm not sure why. However, per your own words you need more training? Not that I needed classes to remind me, but that's not my mentality whether I carry 5 rounds, or 17. People are just using platforms they are more proficient with, and for some that happens to not be a revolver, not sure why you believe said individuals will start shooting indiscriminately.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am capable of carrying a semi just like the weight issue I’ll keep the high capacity in the truck unless I go somewhere where it would be better to carry the semi
Same here. I prefer my wheelie, Im rocking my 4" 581 today, but I'm also just beating around the office today, I've got 1 loop loader on the belt and a speed loader in the pocket. If I can't make it out to the truck where my rifle is with that much in this small building we have other issues :anyone:. Although I will add that I am more proficient in both accuracy and speed with the 581 than I am with my P226 or my 365 because I have put years of practice into my 4" wheel guns for competition style shooting and practice.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, things are getting worse all the time. I can't tell you what to do, but if I was an everyday Joe instead of a cop, I'd pocket carry a Smith and Wesson J frame and have a semi-auto of some sort in the car/truck. Thataway if things did go south for you, you could at least use the revo to make your way back to your vehicle where your trusty M&P is waiting.
You mean long gun

Latest posts

Top Bottom