Carrying/Leaving in car at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkstable

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My place of business does not prohibit CCW. However, when I'm on the clock... I can't carry. OK... that's fine. I agreed to it when I took the job. Now... I can leave my gun in my car. NP there. BUT... my job frequently requires me to use my vehicle to travel from store to store or to the bank etc. At times I may be going to the bank to make a night deposit when the store closes, so I'm still doing business as a rep. for my company. What are the implications of having my weapon in my car, but using my car for job purposes? Is it in my favor that, even though working at the time, I am not actually ON my company's property when in possession of my gun? I brought this up to my district manager but he didn't really seem to know (or maybe didn't feel comfortable stating a position/issue an opinion on the subject).

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My place of business does not prohibit CCW. However, when I'm on the clock... I can't carry. OK... that's fine. I agreed to it when I took the job. Now... I can leave my gun in my car. NP there. BUT... my job frequently requires me to use my vehicle to travel from store to store or to the bank etc. At times I may be going to the bank to make a night deposit when the store closes, so I'm still doing business as a rep. for my company. What are the implications of having my weapon in my car, but using my car for job purposes? Is it in my favor that, even though working at the time, I am not actually ON my company's property when in possession of my gun? I brought this up to my district manager but he didn't really seem to know (or maybe didn't feel comfortable stating a position/issue an opinion on the subject).

I don't know the specifics, but to me it would seem that if you are in your car, that's none of their business. And the law does say they can't prohibit you from keeping it in your vehicle. I wouldn't have even asked the company myself about that. My car is my property and what I have in it is none of anyone elses' business.

Plus, what happens if you were to work from home? Would they make you take all your guns out of the house until you log off?

Dakota10986

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"TITLE 21 § 1290.22. Business owner’s rights

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall
be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of
prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and
storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any
vehicle."

Per the OK SDA...as long as you are not on High school, Jr. High, Elementary, or Vocational School grounds it is legal for you to keep a concealed weapon in your car provided it is locked and a privately owned car. So it doesn't really matter what you're doing (for your work or w/e) if the car is your car and not a company car then you can keep a concealed weapon in it legally. This is actually what the amendment to the SDA that passed Feb. 18, 2009 was all about.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll just respond with the adage "concealed means concealed," meaning that as long at you are keeping your mouth shut and properly concealing, they'll be none the wiser.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not an attorney, but if I remember correctly, in what you described you are acting as an agent for the company. When acting as an agent for your organization, they are liable for anything that may happen while you are conducting business on their behalf, as long as you weren't acting outside of the scope of the authorized activites. (i.e. you cause a accident while going store to store, the business can be held responsible for the accident)

I would think that your organizations policies on the possession of a weapon while conducting business would apply.

Just my thoughts on it, but as I said I'm not an atty.

sparkstable

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
bigcountry has nailed my concern. I understand that my car is my car and they can't keep me from having it there. I would imagine that being in my home would over-ride "working" from my home if I happened to have need of protection while I just "happened" to be working from home (although I actually don't work from home except to check my e-mail from my district manager).

Let's say I have it in my car while at work... that's cool. Now, I leave the property but do NOT clock out... get in my car, and head to the bank to make a business deposit. Someone attempts to rob me or w/e and things reach the point where I should need my weapon. As an agent of my company who has directed me that I can not have/use a firearm while at work... what do I do? Sure... legally I can still use my weapon and protect myself... but can my company hold it against me even though I'm not on their grounds and terminate/reprimand/punish me?

::Added::
No... I do not usually get paid mileage... however certain circumstances can/do arise where I may get paid mileage. For example... if I have to travel to a store outside of OKC metro area I can apply for reimbursement for mileage driven.

And I understand the SDA rule about me having my gun in my car... but it doesn't address being in your car but still on the clock. It just deals with you inside your workplace and your gun outside in the parking lot. Not the two combined.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bigcountry has nailed my concern. I understand that my car is my car and they can't keep me from having it there. I would imagine that being in my home would over-ride "working" from my home if I happened to have need of protection while I just "happened" to be working from home (although I actually don't work from home except to check my e-mail from my district manager).

Let's say I have it in my car while at work... that's cool. Now, I leave the property but do NOT clock out... get in my car, and head to the bank to make a business deposit. Someone attempts to rob me or w/e and things reach the point where I should need my weapon. As an agent of my company who has directed me that I can not have/use a firearm while at work... what do I do? Sure... legally I can still use my weapon and protect myself... but can my company hold it against me even though I'm not on their grounds and terminate/reprimand/punish me?

::Added::
No... I do not usually get paid mileage... however certain circumstances can/do arise where I may get paid mileage. For example... if I have to travel to a store outside of OKC metro area I can apply for reimbursement for mileage driven.

And I understand the SDA rule about me having my gun in my car... but it doesn't address being in your car but still on the clock. It just deals with you inside your workplace and your gun outside in the parking lot. Not the two combined.

I believe they could still fire you, I don't know for certain. I remember that Pizza Hut or Dominos driver who was fired for a self-defense shoot. But really if it's a choice of breaking a company policy and possibly getting fired or serious injury/death... it's not much of a choice. Unless something ever happens where you do use it they should never know.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep your mouth shut concealed is concealed. Is your job more important than your life?

Pop quiz you're attacked by a knife wielding asailant. Is losing your life worth keeping your job?

sparkstable

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No... the choice on what to do is obvious. It's not illegal to carry in this situation... I just was curious if my employer would have any grounds to take action if things ever reached a point where they would actually know I had the gun (ie, I had to use it... pray God we don't reach that point though!).

I'm not debating IF I should carry... but what are the consequences of doing so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom