Case feeder on Dillon 550B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a casefeeder for one of my 550B's this past week here on the board and WOW! It took about 3 hours for me to disassemble and modify the press to replace the parts needed to add the casefeeder and do the calibration. All I can say is that I wish I had added one sooner. It just about doupled my efficiency on loading 40SW. I was so impressed that I called Dillon to order the necessary parts to add the three other calibers I do in quantity. If it only handled 223, I would really be happy.
Using the system with the case feeder is a little more complex than without, in that you need to be aware that cases will occasionally get stuck in the feeder mechanism, but if you are paying attention, it is an easy situation to clear and keep on loading. Blitzfike

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is exciting!!!!! Can you post pictures? I have that same press, and I would love to speed things up. Not that things are slow-going with a Dillon, but more bullets = better.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mean to knock anything or ruin a sale for Dillon but being as how I am a cheapskate I made a case feeder for pistol ammo for my CH progressive out of a plastic funnel, a lid off a coffee can and a 2 ft. piece of plastic tube and some silicone, got the instructions off the internet. Didn't cost anything cause I had it all in my miscl. scrap etc. It will feed cases correctly oriented faster than I can work the press. If I knew how I would provide a link but if you type in freeloader case feeder you can probably find it. May be more complicated to install on a Dillon but is a piece of cake on a Star, Phelps or CH auto-champ.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a 550, I have the 650. Be sure to invest in the powder measure alarm. It's surprising how fast you can go through a pound of powder and not realize it using a progressive press.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a 550, I have the 650. Be sure to invest in the powder measure alarm. It's surprising how fast you can go through a pound of powder and not realize it using a progressive press.

Oh yea, It's not a bad idea. Although a powder check die would effectively do the same thing if you have a place for it on your toolhead

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, when I get back to the machine I'll try to post some pictures. I do have the Dillon powder alarm as well as the low primer alarm. I may eventually get one of Alan's neat press moniters for one of the dillons. Just too many irons in the fire right now.. Blitzfike

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I may eventually get one of Alan's neat press monitors

I appreciate it. I've been making a couple of them a week lately. My last two went to some guys in Italy!

for one of the dillons.

If you have more than one press you can get an extra harness ($10) for the other presses and move one Press Monitor between them!

Thanks,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom