CCL Sign Language?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, DU, when did you take that pic of my car? Is it too much, do you think?

I'm afraid a sign language will be mistaken by a gangbanger as being an opposing gang sign (being something he doesn't recognize), and then you become a target.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was given the example in class (may have been made up):

You're driving down the road and see a guy beating a woman with a tire iron. You stop thinking he's harming a woman and shoot and kill him. What you didnt know is that the woman stabbed the guy multiple times trying to rob him and he was defending himself.

Same scenario with an undercover cop. An undercover pulls a gun on a pretty woman and you think its some guy robbing her. So you shoot him. And now you're guilty of killing a cop.

Long story short make sure you know the facts and dont get involved unless its a must. Just my :twocents:

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You also forgot "employer."

Just a notice to y'all... if my wife and or kid is being held at gunpoint, please feel free to pop the BG in the back of the head whether he's threatening you or not.

B

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you see a felony in progress, go to a safe place and dial 9-1-1.

DO NOT engage the bad guy. If he sees you and directs his attention towards you, that's one thing. But if you are outside of said establishment where the felony is being comitted, you have no authority as a citizen with an SDA card and your handy, dandy blaster to try to stop that crime in any way, shape or form.

Get to safety and call the professionals. Then, give a statement to the police, identifying the BG and what was happening.

Dead heros make lousy witnesses. :disappoin

This x1,000,000!!

After seeing a handful of threads inevitably devolve into this type of discussion, I have come to the conclusion that there must be some really terrible CCW instructors out there!

Unless you or someone you know intimately (family, close friend) is in danger of death or great bodily harm and only the use of your firearm could stop the threat, get away and call the cops. That's what they're for!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I would just as soon most people NOT know Im carrying. SUPRISE! Im not in LE therefore Im not a Sheepdog. Im just a dog watching out for my mate and puppies. I find out it doesnt take long in a conversation to find like people. When its time to defend yours I hope I can be of help. Good Thread

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess we are off the original topic but since we are here anyway..........

No, it is not wrong. If the force is not threatening you, you cannot defend. It has to be your life in danger or a family member. Now, if you choose to put your life in front of say, the bg waving the gun, then yes you can defend yourself. But if you walk in on a guy holding up a convenience store and pop him in the back of the head, you go to jail.

TITLE 21 § 1289.25. Physical or deadly force against intruder.
(D) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Now, would I advocate use of force to prevent a felony, typically not because of most of the above stated reasons, too many unknowns. BUT in a case where you are certain of the situation, then yes you can use deadly force to prevent a felony. It doesn't specify that it has to be a felony against your person.

Often you hear people mention: family members, friends, employees when talking about who you can defend. I find those words nowhere in the self defense act. I think that is either a wives tale or there is some misinformation out there.

BC

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

(D) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Now, would I advocate use of force to prevent a felony, typically not because of most of the above stated reasons, too many unknowns. BUT in a case where you are certain of the situation, then yes you can use deadly force to prevent a felony. It doesn't specify that it has to be a felony against your person.

Often you hear people mention: family members, friends, employees when talking about who you can defend. I find those words nowhere in the self defense act. I think that is either a wives tale or there is some misinformation out there.

BC

First of all, I think the family member requirements are a part of the training given by SDA certified instructors. Much of their training is based on ALL the firearms laws, not just the Self Defense Act. So, unless you check out all of the statutes regarding weapons, you could be wrong on whom you can protect. I took my SDA class several years ago and I specifically remember that one is restricted as to whom one can defend.

To take actions against others, based on one's OWN interpretation of what one thinks the law states, is a very dangerous thing. A prosecutor, judge and jury may believe otherwise.

GED is right. Do not try to take action to prevent a "forcible felony" in progress. Call the professional law enforcement officials or you may well need the services of a professional criminal lawyer.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

BC

You have to look at the title of the law you are quoting here.

TITLE 21 § 1289.25. Physical or deadly force against intruder

That right there would make it my right to do so in my home or in the home of someone else if I am there by invite. The forcible felony is being committed by an INTRUDER.

Do you agree or disagree?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to look at the title of the law you are quoting here.

TITLE 21 § 1289.25. Physical or deadly force against intruder

That right there would make it my right to do so in my home or in the home of someone else if I am there by invite. The forcible felony is being committed by an INTRUDER.

Do you agree or disagree?

I would agree that this statute more applies to a situation where one is in their home, car, camper, outbuilding or elsewhere and an intruder interjects themselves into said "stucture". Encountering a bad guy robbing a store would not seem to qualify.

Sorry I failed to make that point. Good catch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom