Cholesterol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently been prescribed Lipitor due to an arterial blockage in the smaller artery behind my heart (40-50% blocked). The two larger arteries are clear. The Lipitor is to help with stopping anymore of a blockage. The doc prescribed it without any discussion on diet or exercise, just take a pill. I like red meat.

I have yet to take the meds due to side effect concerns on my part as well as I've got no other health issues going on.
Cholesterol - 163
HDL - 41
LDL - 109
5'11", around 170# and 59 yrs old.

If anyone is comfortable saying, are you taking Lipitor and have you had any side effect issues?
Thanks.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All statins work pretty much the same. I suspect your doctor told you to come back for blood work, liver damage is a low but possible side effect. The most common side effects are muscle pain and stomach issues. Since I am an active person and old muscle pain is pretty much a daily occurance. I ask the doctor about it and he said that statin induced muscle pain would be very noticable, it never happened. There were no other side effects either.

Last edited:

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was on Lipitor for about 10-15 years. No side effects that I was aware of. Slowly adjusted my diet habits and got off of it three years ago. My numbers are similar to yours.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dr prescribed it to me. I asked about why, numbers, goals, effects, ??????

LDL should be under 120, you are good.

Take an Omega-3 fish oil. Red Krill is my go to. Been taking it for 8 years.
Dr hasn't mentioned cholesterol since.

Not a fan of Lipitor.

Do a bit of research, fish oil is better, IMHO.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a lot to study about cholesterol. It by itself isn't bad, but is more an indicator of damage. Cholesterol is generated to repair you.

I used to sweat it - I actually turned into a runner because my LDL was high and I refused to take statins. (I was in my early 40s) Running, diet, exercise will lower that number. Most folks refuse to change their habits though.

Now I kind of believe it's not as big a deal, and there seems to be a swing in the medical field that agrees with my statement. Eat right, exercise regularly, don't listen to rap and you'll prolly be good to go.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had very bad reactions from Lipitor, heart racing and then slowing, rashes and severe muscle cramps. I hear what happened to me is pretty rare though so I'm hoping you don't experience any of what I did.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom