Cholesterol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dr prescribed it to me. I asked about why, numbers, goals, effects, ??????

LDL should be under 120, you are good.

Take an Omega-3 fish oil. Red Krill is my go to. Been taking it for 8 years.
Dr hasn't mentioned cholesterol since.

Not a fan of Lipitor.

Do a bit of research, fish oil is better, IMHO.
I started fish oil several months ago, before this issue was known, along with several other supplements. I plan on sticking with it unless something changes. My diet isn't real clean but it isn't terrible, although I'm fatter than I've ever been, even at 170. I workout once per week (lifting), likely will pick up another day unless I go back to Krav Maga training.

Optimally, your HDL number should be higher and your LDL lower.

So what are optimal numbers?
From what I've been told, HDL should be between 40-59 (41) and LDL under 130 (109).

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was prescribed Lipitor and the /doctor noted my enzymes to be elevated so he cut it in half and I've been on half dosage probably for six years without any ill effects and as far as I know I'm still alive...

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started fish oil several months ago, before this issue was known, along with several other supplements. I plan on sticking with it unless something changes. My diet isn't real clean but it isn't terrible, although I'm fatter than I've ever been, even at 170. I workout once per week (lifting), likely will pick up another day unless I go back to Krav Maga training.

So what are optimal numbers?
From what I've been told, HDL should be between 40-59 (41) and LDL under 130 (109).

An HDL of 40 is borderline low and LDL of 100 is borderline high. Ideally, you’d want an HDL of 60 or higher and an LDL well under 100. Understanding Cholesterol Levels and Numbers

38376909-6098-43F4-93BF-8329DD7B438B.jpeg

The chart below shows normal cholesterol levels. Healthcare providers consider these numbers healthy for most people. If you have heart disease or many risk factors, your LDL target may be different. Your healthcare provider may want your LDL level to be below 70 mg/dL. So, it’s important to talk with your provider about your test results and what they mean for you.

As you review your results, remember that you want your LDL to be low and your HDL to be high. Ideally, your HDL should be above 60. It’s the helpful cholesterol. An HDL above 60 offers you protection against heart disease.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m on atorvastatin, been for probably over 10 years. No issues.
Went off it for 6 month to try and go super healthy, no eggs red meat barely, fish oil etc lots of cardio and exercise. -did nothing.
I’m back in it and I felt no difference at any point.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m on atorvastatin, been for probably over 10 years. No issues.
Went off it for 6 month to try and go super healthy, no eggs red meat barely, fish oil etc lots of cardio and exercise. -did nothing.
I’m back in it and I felt no difference at any point.

I've been on Atorvastatin for years myself, although I couldn't tell you how many years. No real issues that I can relate to the drug. However, every year when I do labs and my annual physical, all the "numbers" seem to be right in line with where they are supposed to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom