Civilian defender: #4 buckshot to the face

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't want to hear my tale of a 12 gauge to the face in an attempted suicide.

:yikes2::yikes2::yikes2:
I’ve got one of those stories. Guy I worked with found out his wife was cheating on him.
Decided to swallow a 12ga. As he was pulling the trigger, the phone went off and he turned his head as the gun went off. He is one ugly dude to this day after the docs put his cheek and jaw back together, but he is alive and has been doing fine since.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one curious at all where this guy has his practice where he sees “lots of people shot in the face”? I’ll be seeing my dentist next month and I’m going to ask her just how many she’s seen.
As to the premise of #4 Buck being insufficient? I keep 00 Buck in my HD shotgun but I’m going to wager if someone shot me in the melon with #4 it would seriously hamper my ability to engage the enemy.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not saying that the blog in the original post is B.S. However the guy shares the same "name" as the television show...and he never gave his full name and place of occupation. This is not how legitimate data points are shared in any profession. You couldn't cite this article in any college paper without taking a hit on your grade. In fact, anyone of us could create just a post somewhere that appeared just as legitimate.

There's also ZERO pellets in the ocular region (eye area) of the x-ray. Color me suspicious.

That being said; the wide pattern in the x-ray lacked concentration of pellets in any spot making me think that if this photo is legit, there was considerable distance between the shooter and target (probably in the 20+ yard range).

I have watched (more anecdotal evidence here) a couple YouTube videos of a guy who hunted deer with a traditional shotgun-length barrel and #4 buck. If I remember correctly, his kills were at ~25 yards. His pellet recovery noted that nothing made it deeper than about 10 inches, and really the lethality was unimpressive. However he did kill both deer with a single shot, so there's that.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago a local Seminole PD officer was in a pursuit and when it finally ended and he exited his patrol car, he immediately took a .410 blast to the face from his assailant. Not only did he stay in the fight, but he wound up killing one of the combatants (a female accomplice) and arresting the driver that shot him when his boots hit the ground. He lost an eye from the ordeal but he's still totin' a gun and badge today.

Warrior. :thumb:

https://www.theadanews.com/news/loc...cle_acd426d1-3288-5d12-ba38-c6e8a6f48d22.html

Last edited:

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hunted coyote and bobcat with #4 buck. About 20-25 yards is about all I would really rely on it in my gun. Don't think I would use it for deer unless I was desperate. But across the room I would think it would be pretty hurtful

Latest posts

Top Bottom