College Grad Not Liking the 40hr Work Week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course it was a result of work ethic.

I learned my work ethic as a teen in the USAF,,,
Where if you didn't do your job you didn't get fired,,,
You got your rank and pay taken away and sometimes went to jail.

My point is that my work ethic wasn't what kept my job secure.

It was the fact that I took on tasks that no one else wanted to mess with,,,
And by doing that I became the only person who could do them.

No one in their right mind would fire the only person,,,
Who could manage/administer the on-line classroom platform during classroom shutdowns.

Becoming indispensable wasn't an accidental thing,,,
It was something I planned from day one of getting that job,,,
And I credit my good sense and forethought in providing for my comfy retirement.

Work ethic is important,,,
But being indispensable is better.

Aarond

I have a friend that went from an engineering college degree to the leader of R&D in the Conoco/Phillips world to finally retiring early to become a consultant at $400,000+ a year with a corner office in a tower in San Diego.
He took every crap job across the world that nobody wanted in the sand box, to Nigeria, to the North sea as a well completion engineer. Every move got him a promotion, until he hit Houston with 45 US patents to his credit and an office job. He got a reward for his work and had to give a speech at the annual shareholders meeting about 10 years ago.
He spent a lot of time, but got great stories to go along with it in those shathole countries, but like you, he made himself indispensable to that field.
He leapfrogged over a lot of his supervisors and survived the oilfield dips when thousands were laid off.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To get back to the subject of the OP, I wonder why she didn't consider looking for work someplace other than New York City? After all, with commuting issues and considering the cost of living to live in/near that hell-hole, she might have been better off working/living in a smaller city.
Bars, clubs, social life. Thats more important to a pup than going to work.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard me ***** about how work broke down my body and I don't go to the doctor for pain meds either. Sure I have plenty of aches and pains, but I attribute those to the fact that I'm getting old, nothing else.

As for making "big bucks" it depends. As the saying goes, money can't buy happiness and I am very happy with my life. I wouldn't trade what I have now for anything, not even the big bucks that go with some high paying job.
My comment was not about you specifically @Gadsden but for all those that DO complain and blame. No offense intended if anyone took it personally.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The complaining lady is getting some feedback.

FOX Business - Gen Z Gets Wake-up Call

I liked the last bit of the story.

"More broadly looking at Gen Z in the workplace, a recent survey from ResumeBuilder revealed that nearly 75% of managers of business leaders say that Gen Z – anyone born from 1997 through the 2000s – are "more difficult to work with than other generations."

Even more concerning, a whopping 49% of business leaders and managers surveyed said it is difficult to work with Gen Z all or most of the time due to lack of communication skills, effort, motivation and even technological skills."

Latest posts

Top Bottom