College Grad Not Liking the 40hr Work Week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She wants a 20 hr a week job that pays $200k. I knew a bunch like her. They'd also like a title.

What they want is the pay, respect and position equal to those that have been on the job for 25+ years, and they want it on day one. You know what's worse, some corporations are allowing that to happen. It doesn't sit well with the rest of the work force however. I don't know when it's going to bite them, but it will.
" . . . some corporations are allowing that to happen. "

That's the key phrase right there. Most likely anyone, even here on OSA would have loved to work just 20-hrs a week for high pay if they had been given an opportunity to do that. Can't really blame the girl because she is just after the same thing most people would like to have/have had, but you can blame the companies that allow this.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
" . . . some corporations are allowing that to happen. "

That's the key phrase right there. Most likely anyone, even here on OSA would have loved to work just 20-hrs a week for high pay if they had been given an opportunity to do that. Can't really blame the girl because she is just after the same thing most people would like to have/have had, but you can blame the companies that allow this.
Yep. Some companies expect poor performance as a norm and that's what they get. Hard to determine what they do or what their goals are though when the employees are too embarrassed to share the company name or what they allegedly do. I'd love to observe some of these "workers" for a day. I bet a lot of them don't perform 2 hours of work in a day but imagine themselves to be productive. Some even brag of screwing off on company time. Of course a lot of them spent 5 years for a 4 year BS degree with 20 year old student loan debt so they're not exactly big achievers.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Granted, we may not have liked it, but we didn't whine about it like her either. Yeah, we all probably bitched about it now and then, but we accepted it as a fact of life, took it in stride and moved forward. We knew that the only way to acquire the things we wanted and to support our families was by earning a living and we did exactly what was required to achieve our goals, including working 40 hours plus a week.

Like countless others before me I started working long before I graduated from school and continued working until I was able to retire and I believe that, in spite of any hardships, like long hours and multiple jobs to make ends meet, it made me a better person. The way I see it the girl in this video has a lot of growing up to do and if she doesn't do it soon she's in for a very rude awakening because no matter what the liberal professors told her in college, she isn't special and nothing is free.
" Granted, we may not have liked it, but we didn't whine about it like her either. "

No we didn't, but we all sit around now bitchin' about how tough we had it and about how our broken-down bodies keep us awake at night, as well as having to make countless trips to the Doc's for an endless supply of pain meds.

Truth be told most of you would give your left nut to be able to have had the opportunity to make big bucks while still having much more time off for fishing and hunting or being with the family.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
" Granted, we may not have liked it, but we didn't whine about it like her either. "

No we didn't, but we all sit around now bitchin' about how tough we had it and about how our broken-down bodies keep us awake at night, as well as having to make countless trips to the Doc's for an endless supply of pain meds.

Truth be told most of you would give your left nut to be able to have had the opportunity to make big bucks while still having much more time off for fishing and hunting or being with the family.
Never heard me ***** about how work broke down my body and I don't go to the doctor for pain meds either. Sure I have plenty of aches and pains, but I attribute those to the fact that I'm getting old, nothing else.

As for making "big bucks" it depends. As the saying goes, money can't buy happiness and I am very happy with my life. I wouldn't trade what I have now for anything, not even the big bucks that go with some high paying job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s the truth. Over 4.5 Trillion dollars in our 8.3 Trillion dollar budget is allotted to Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and income security programs like SNAP, Housing, unemployment, etc. California's Medicaid system has 77 billion dollars in payments coming in from the US Gov this year, slightly more than we have sent to Ukraine as of July this year.

While I agree, that's really not as much money as we all think. We spend $83.3 billion, or roughly 1% of our budget on foreign affairs, to Include operating costs of embassies and diplomats. Although this obviously does not count the boatloads of cash sent to Ukraine or Israel that was approved outside the budget, those numbers add up to somewhere less than 85 billion, or another 1% of our budget. The equivalent of the average American household making an extra car payment or two each year.

Still, in spite of it "only" being 1 or 2% of our budget, $83 billion, or even $160 billion is a lot of money. If we just spent that stateside, we could make some serious changes to things that matter. we could create 131,000 new, good paying security jobs by hiring a trained security guard for every school, and install bulletproof high security exterior doors on every school in the US, creating 131,000 prospective jobs for contractors all over the US.
I heard on the radio today that the US is paying more in interest for loans than we put into the Defense budget. If that's true, it's a sad situation.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Some companies expect poor performance as a norm and that's what they get. Hard to determine what they do or what their goals are though when the employees are too embarrassed to share the company name or what they allegedly do. I'd love to observe some of these "workers" for a day. I bet a lot of them don't perform 2 hours of work in a day but imagine themselves to be productive. Some even brag of screwing off on company time. Of course a lot of them spent 5 years for a 4 year BS degree with 20 year old student loan debt so they're not exactly big achievers.

Sounds like they live rent free in your head.

Latest posts

Top Bottom