College Grad Not Liking the 40hr Work Week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like most of you didn’t read the article. You’d have realized she on her period and just having a bad day. ;)

Many older adults I’ve talked to have regrets about working 40+ hours per week for years and letting work take priority over their personal life. They’ve burned out working 18 hour days and going into work on the weekend. Today, it’s all about work/life balance and even older workers are embracing the idea. Particularly, if you’re a salaried employee and those extra hours don’t equate to more money on pay day.
I say youre exactly right. I am not what I would consider "older", but maybe I am. I worked myself to death for the better part of 18 years, and all I have to show for it is a broken down body, some nice stuff, and being awful burnt out already. Now I am stuck having a midlife crisis, trying to change myself into a less physically demanding, less life sucking career. I spend a lot of time wishing I didn't learn the hard way, cause this transition crap sucks. Selling your soul to a company isn't the way to do it, that's for sure, life is about the time you spend away from work, not the time you spend at work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say youre exactly right. I am not what I would consider "older", but maybe I am. I worked myself to death for the better part of 18 years, and all I have to show for it is a broken down body, some nice stuff, and being awful burnt out already. Now I am stuck having a midlife crisis, trying to change myself into a less physically demanding, less life sucking career. I spend a lot of time wishing I didn't learn the hard way, cause this transition crap sucks. Selling your soul to a company isn't the way to do it, that's for sure, life is about the time you spend away from work, not the time you spend at work.
I actually enjoyed what I did for a living.
Now back to the OP. She said she didn't have time to do anything after work after a commute and 8 hours. It was tough but the yard got mowed, chores got done, and everything just kept rolling.
What's amazing is than now retired, it takes two full days to get the yard mowed, and a project that took an hour takes days to complete these times. :laugh6:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed what I did for a living.
Now back to the OP. She said she didn't have time to do anything after work after a commute and 8 hours. It was tough but the yard got mowed, chores got done, and everything just kept rolling.
What's amazing is than now retired, it takes two full days to get the yard mowed, and a project that took an hour takes days to complete these times. :laugh6:
I definitely did too, but its hard to keep up if you overdo it and cause too much damage. Still miss it a bit, just dont miss the wear and tear, dead end wages, or crappy bosses.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely did too, but its hard to keep up if you overdo it and cause too much damage. Still miss it a bit, just dont miss the wear and tear, dead end wages, or crappy bosses.
I just overlooked the bs and let my work drive my attitude. I know that's hard to do, but when the long game came to the end, almost everyone of my supervisors went away, and I kept chugging along. Never got promoted because I told them what they needed to hear and not what they wanted to hear. Low guy on the totum pole won.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Work ethic is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. So is integrity.
There are some still some young ones out there that have an incredible work ethic. We have a nephew that has been detailing cars in his yard since 14 earning enough money to buy his own vehicle now that he is 16.
I can cite hundreds of other examples, but we only hear of the lazy ones that fail and publicly complain on social media.
There are a lot of us on this forum that interact with youth in one way or another than can back up that statement, I'm sure.
We will be fine down the road. There are tons of jobs out there that don't require a college indoctrination that pay wages just as high as a graduate in a lot of cases.
Even if the college graduate does finally exceed the blue collar wages, it will take years afterward before the college loans are paid off that offer a net loss to their "higher wages". I've seen examples of how long it takes if one starts as a skilled blue collar worker vs someone that spent $$$$$ getting a 4 year degree and not being in the workforce. The years it would take to make that up is quite a long time.
Yeah, work behind a desk may be more desirable to some vs working on a catwalk 500' on a smokestack in the middle of the night during a storm, but it's all relative.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Selling your soul to a company isn't the way to do it, that's for sure, life is about the time you spend away from work, not the time you spend at work.
Used to be that companies rewarded dedication and long service. Now, not so much. Now, they try any reason to can you before retirement as a way to save on medical premiums and benefits. Watch out for yourself during your working years, because you only have you to fall back on. Wasn't always this way but here we are.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to be that companies rewarded dedication and long service. Now, not so much. Now, they try any reason to can you before retirement as a way to save on medical premiums and benefits. Watch out for yourself during your working years, because you only have you to fall back on. Wasn't always this way but here we are.
The 401K vs pension retirement programs pretty much fixed that issue. They can fire you but your 401K isn't affected. It just moves along to the next job unless you want to keep it at the past employer. It has to meet a certain threshold of $$ amount to do that though.
When I left one employer, I met that threshold. They paid for all stock transactions, so I day traded it for years without working for them, making one hell of a profit in the process while building another 401K in the company I went to.
I do agree about companies not rewarding dedication and long service. One of my co-workers retired with three years of sick leave built up that he gave back to the company. His greatest disappointment at his retirement ceremony when he got a couple hundred bucks of trinkets and a handshake was that they didn't acknowledge his three years of sick leave. He retired three years before me. I left them zero in sick leave when there was a year on the books.

Latest posts

Top Bottom