College Grad Not Liking the 40hr Work Week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be prepared to accept a lower pay if that is the dream job. Those are easy to find without benefits.
The spoiled ***** would have hated my career working 50-60 hour weeks and taking call outs at 2am, having to drive 18 miles to the workplace, then back home to catch an hours sleep before getting back up to shower and go back to work on that 18 mile commute. Sometimes just slept in the truck in the parking lot.
The young college graduate pups with this mentality in my crew wouldn't answer their phones at night to take the callouts even when they were on call. The old man always answered the phone, it was part of the job. The pups always complained at the end of the year when my annual income was 1/3 more than theirs at the same hourly rate. The old guy isn't there now. Wonder how they are handling it.
So, you're saying you wouldn't want a job that pays $200K for 20 hr/week? :bolt:

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My ex-wife left the home when the sons were teens. That was another part of the job of life.
It’s tough. And it definitely changes your mindset on what’s important and what’s not. When I was married, I was working sometimes 3 jobs trying to support us. I wasn’t home a lot and at the time I thought that’s what providing for your family was. Working yourself to death. Now, I work about half that and I spend more time with my daughter than most fathers do with their kids and I wouldn’t have it any other way honestly. So to an extent, I get the “I don’t want to work more than 40 hours a week” thought process. But when you have car payments, a mortgage or rent, and the never ending grocery bills brought on by 4 boys who will eat anything that isn’t attached to damn house (my personal upbringing) you do what you have to do. 🤷‍♂️

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s tough. And it definitely changes your mindset on what’s important and what’s not. When I was married, I was working sometimes 3 jobs trying to support us. I wasn’t home a lot and at the time I thought that’s what providing for your family was. Working yourself to death. Now, I work about half that and I spend more time with my daughter than most fathers do with their kids and I wouldn’t have it any other way honestly. So to an extent, I get the “I don’t want to work more than 40 hours a week” thought process. But when you have car payments, a mortgage or rent, and the never ending grocery bills brought on by 4 boys who will eat anything that isn’t attached to damn house (my personal upbringing) you do what you have to do. 🤷‍♂️
Exactly. You do what you have to do to survive, not thrive in personal pleasures. I get it 100%, been there, done that.
Congrats to you for that attitude.

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. You do what you have to do to survive, not thrive in personal pleasures. I get it 100%, been there, done that.
Congrats to you for that attitude.
Thank you. I never saw my dad a lot growing up so I just thought that’s how things were and tried to mimic that when I was married. But after my divorce, it was a complete mindset change. Like a light switch. And @HoLeChit is right, there’s no loyalty from companies anymore. And even less these days that treat you well as an employee. I worked for a company with a manager that called me a f@ggot almost daily. But ironically, that same manager told me once that “a job is just a job” and that stuck with me. So if I’m being forced to chose anything else over my family again, I won’t.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know about ya’ll, but I would do some pretty horrific/disgusting/degrading things to make 200k a year working 20 hours a week.

Oh and titles are crap. I don’t understand why everybody wants a title or some special identifier these days. I’m perfectly happy with being Mr. Chit with a full wallet at the end of the day.
Feudal serfs averaged a 20 hour work week, just sayin.

9njaquvtlhr51.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom