Colt Commander Government??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of a Colt Commander Govt. I have been a big fan of 1911's for many years. I am pretty sure that pistol is a WWII era 1911a1. Proof mark is below the mag release and it looks as tho there are inspector marks below the slide release. It has the safety, trigger and mainspring housing type that was used during WWII era pistols. The guy has no idea what he is talking about, but that is nothing new in the world of firearms.

Me either. This dude doesn't know what he is takling about.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Colt Commander is a 4 3/4" version of the Government Model. Same size frame, but shorter slide and barrel. There is also a Colt Lightweight Commander that has all the same dimensions, but the frame is aluminum alloy.

Edit: A full size 5" Colt in government configuration IS the Colt Government Model, the 4 1/4" version is the Colt Commander model, or the Colt Lightweight Commander. There are other slight differences, like the hammer, but are basically the same other than the length of slide and barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom