Confirmed: Next-Gen Dodge Charger, Challenger Will Be Electric Only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s just government BS telling all the manufacturers to start going toward all electric. One of the many genius ideas from the democrats on how to save the planet.

I saw an article where due to the heat this year and everybody running air conditioners heavy some states asked people not to charge EVs during peak hours. Because it was going to stress the electric grid. Keep in mind that right now only about 1% of vehicles are electric!

Our entire power grid would have to be completely re-designed to actually handle the load of the population all driving Electric.

This transition to Electric being the “future“ could be true, but it’s going to take 30+ years and be a slow process.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever seen this?

At some point in the near future, we’re just going to have to accept the fact electric cars are going to replace gas engines. Don’t get me wrong, I love muscle cars too and I’d take a ‘72 Nova SS or an ‘87 Buick Grand National over anything that’s electric any day. But this is the future and we’re just going to have to deal with it.

It’s also the past. Electric and steam cars were first. Combustion engines replaced electric motors to start with, as that technology progressed faster. Battery storage, etc… is finally catching up 120 years later.

100% torque right off the line is fun if not addictive . The exhaust notes of a well tuned sports car or hot rod is just glorious though.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really argues that electric cars of the future but they are certainly not the now. Until you can reasonably drive across the United States without it taking three times as long as it should because you have to wait for hours to charge your car because the battery capacity will not keep up with the demand that you need to be able to drive anywhere more than across town, gassers will still have their place.

As far as the Hellcat vs Tesla.... There is more to everything than just pure acceleration. I get that they are fast. But video that I drive I drive for a reason because it's from what I could find the best compromise of everything that I want a car to do. It gets good enough fuel economy to satisfy my wallet, it is fast enough to satisfy my desire for speed, it has enough cargo space to satisfy my desire to haul stuff, enough seats to satisfy my need to haul people and enough comfort to satisfy my back on trips. Until an electric car manufacturer makes something that will do everything that I want to do with my SRT8 station wagon, I will just continue driving my SRT8 station wagon.

How many people are really driving cross country? I don’t. The statistics don’t seem to match up with that either.

https://www.bts.gov/statistical-pro...sehold-travel-survey-daily-travel-quick-facts

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering how many batteries are currently in the world, I’m less concerned with fires from then and more curious how they’ll address charging. Many folks don’t have garages so unless their apartments build charging spots or allow them to run long cords then there’ll be lower sales than expected. Tesla has scraped by with being a “luxury” car and having some amount of pull putting in charging stations. But lower income folks will not be able to charge conveniently if electric becomes the norm.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering how many batteries are currently in the world, I’m less concerned with fires from then and more curious how they’ll address charging. Many folks don’t have garages so unless their apartments build charging spots or allow them to run long cords then there’ll be lower sales than expected. Tesla has scraped by with being a “luxury” car and having some amount of pull putting in charging stations. But lower income folks will not be able to charge conveniently if electric becomes the norm.

Plug into that long extension cord, then sit back and watch.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many people are really driving cross country? I don’t. The statistics don’t seem to match up with that either.

https://www.bts.gov/statistical-pro...sehold-travel-survey-daily-travel-quick-facts
I can't even drive to my hunting land in SE OK and back in and EV and that's hardly cross country. I will be sticking with gas or diesel because these automakers are going to switch right back to ICEs when they are looking at the sales dropping through the floor that will occur.

Besides the utter lack of grid infrastructure another thing the .gov is missing are the amount of job losses and companies just folding. There are a few million who work at manufacturers that make engines, parts and components all over the country. EV's don't have a lot of these things and machine shops don't exactly convert easily to printing circuit boards or making batteries.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked downtown it’s easy to put 100 miles a day on my car. When I was running my kids around my batteries would be drained. The hybrid would be a better solution for me.

my biggest issues

1. no resale value after 7 or 8 years. No one wants your car when the power bank needs replaced.

2. double your electric bill, that’s a lot of gas.

3. no power or restrictions on power, no car

4. Electric isn’t produced by wind and solar, mainly natural gas, coal, or nuclear currently. So your not green.

5. cost. The cost to benefit ratio isn’t there IMO.

6. lack of charging stations

JMO but a city dweller that wants to trade every 3 or 4 years it may work for you but not for me.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s just government BS telling all the manufacturers to start going toward all electric. One of the many genius ideas from the democrats on how to save the planet.

I saw an article where due to the heat this year and everybody running air conditioners heavy some states asked people not to charge EVs during peak hours. Because it was going to stress the electric grid. Keep in mind that right now only about 1% of vehicles are electric!

Our entire power grid would have to be completely re-designed to actually handle the load of the population all driving Electric.

This transition to Electric being the “future“ could be true, but it’s going to take 30+ years and be a slow process.
The other Question is how they plan on generating all that electricity. Coal?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything is bland now, passionless. No skill to hit an accelerator pedal in an electric, traction control does the job. A real driver's car encourages one to drive well and pay attention. A real drag racer has to know when to shift, when to lift and when to get in the grove and make sure everything is right. I like my 6 speed manual, the V-8 rumble and the rear of the car wanting to go right or left depending on tire pressure, angle, traction and roadway. Love the smell of unburnt hydrocarbons. Electric cars are un-human. I will also say this, most electrics have no panache, they look like suppositories with tires. The interior is about as classy as a hospital room with led mood lights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom