Corn Prices and Alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any change in feed that is not native will take some time for the deer to start eating it. I put out some alfalfa hay this last year know deer love it, the deer here took nearly 2 months to start on it. I use some cotton seed and again it took time for them to start eating it. My deer numbers are way down, I blame it on the poacher.
I think it probably depends on what you’re feeding and your deer herd, because I’ve never had deer take more than a day or two to hit my All Stock or corn.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call nearest feed mill. Just bought from Arhberg in Cushing. 50# is $11.00. Tried rice bran once. Poured in piles on the ground and nothing touched it. Six months of weather and rain finally got it gone. A deer did step in one pile.
I know Okie4570 has good luck with rice bran, and the couple years I fed it the deer hit it hard. Here’s a picture from the last year I fed it.

Ironically, I killed the buck exactly one year to the day from when this picture was taken in the exact spot where he’s standing.
IMG_0796.jpeg

Last edited:

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know Okie4570 has good luck with rice bran, and the couple years I fed it the deer hit it hard. Here’s a picture from the last year I fed it.

Ironically, I killed the buck exactly one year to the day from when this picture was taken in the exact spot where he’s standing.
View attachment 404242
I might have to rethink what I'm doing based on this!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer do go to the water and drink. I have kill a good many at the waterholes.
Of course they do, but they can go extremely long periods without drinking water from a pond or stream, they get it from succulent plants, morning dew and so on. If those aren't available, they will drink from water sources more often.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 404242
I tried the rice bran a couple of seasons. Nothing touched it for a couple of weeks, then they started hitting it pretty hard. Don't hunt that area anymore, so might try the new areas this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom